Video Light Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Light Question

I just wanted to know, can I use my AC Adaptor to power a Canon VL-10 (or 20) video light. I'm assuming it will just fit onto the light like it does onto the camera in place of the battery?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:37 PM   #2
Trustee

I could be wrong, but I think that there is a warning about the use of the AC adaptor in the VL-10li user's manual. I will check tonight.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jean-Philippe is right, in the Canon VL-10Li manual - under the heading of "To ensure safe use" it specifically states:

"A DC coupler cannot be used in place of a battery pack."

It doesn't make total sense to me, it would seem like a DC adapter "would" work --- except that the light is actually described as being a "Canon Battery Video Light".

Where safety is concerned --- I try to err on the side of caution.

Maybe just buy an extra battery? A BP-945 battery will cost about twice as much as the light did though?

OT: I wonder why the replacement bulb for the $65 Canon light costs $25. Seems like an expensive bulb? I wonder if there is a generic bulb equivalent?

Ed Baatz
Sarasota, Florida
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:15 AM   #4
Wrangler

All things cost more if you just buy the individual parts. Individual parts for a $10K car would cost on the order of $40K. Here is a crazy example fromHome Depot. A replacement battery for a 18-volt cordless drill cost ~$55, but one can buy the same drill with two batteries for $95. Economies of scale, packaging, handling, overhead costs, and middle-man cuts all make the difference.
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Paying $25 for a bulb worth at most, $2 or $3 is simply not very sensible... Replacement bulbs for my Smith Victor SV-950 are not over-priced... but then the bulbs don't say Canon or Sony on them either.

A "generic" bulb, if it fits --- would be fine. A halogen 12-volt 10-watt bulb is not magical. Charging $25 for it is... priceless! ;o)
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the information guys.

Ideally I need a camera light that I can plug in as I don't want to be relying on batteries.

Just the hassle of charging etc

Thanks
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry I got off-topic Sunny...

Smith Victor offers a 120-volt AC camera-mounted light that sells for about $55, I think, and it does either 100-watts or 150-watts (depending upon which bulb you use). Model numbers SM410 and SM415. Even has barn-doors which the VL10 doesn't have. B&H sells them too.

Or you might look at the Smith Victor 120v/12v light (model number SV840) that is similar but can be used with 35, 50, 75 or 100-watt bulbs. It costs more (about $100).

I'm sure there are _many_ other video lights available that will operate on 120-volts too???

Ed Baatz
Sarasota, Florida
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I plan to get Smith victor, How abour Smith victor SV950 Lighting Kit? Can it be used with 50 watt light bulb?
Will it fit the canon mount shoe?

thx
andrew
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Kiu : I plan to get Smith victor, How abour Smith victor SV950 Lighting Kit? Can it be used with 50 watt light bulb?
Will it fit the canon mount shoe?
thx andrew
-->>>

I have this S/V-950 light and it fits in my Canon's shoe mount just like you would guess it would. Standard shoe mount... My unit also came with a separate, detachable, padded-handle for using the light hand-held. I can also store extra bulbs inside this handle.

This unit can use any of four different wattage bulbs which allows me to vary its power as I might need by just switching the bulbs.

Wattages which can be used are: 35-watt; 50-watt; 75-watt; and 100-watt.

I usually keep a couple of each wattage bulb on hand. The bulbs are inexpensive and it's relatively easy to swap the bulb in order to change the light's output when needed.

Ed
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

BP1-C SHOULDER POWER PACK or FANNY PACK?

Ed Baatz,
Thanks for your input...

Which battery pack so far you think is more conveniences or less hassle to carry?

BP1-C SHOULDER POWER PACK or FANNY PACK?

Thx again
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Andrew,

Shoulder or fanny pack? I'd say that would primarily depend upon your personal preference? I have only used the shoulder pack but the fanny pack would probably be just as good... Probably not much difference in convenience or hassle would be my guess.

Ed
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks ED

Thank you so much for your help,

i just ordered Smith Victor SV950K Lighting Kit for my Canon XL1s...from B&H

Thanks
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Folks

What's the product code for the 35W Bulb for the SV950? For example, the 100 Watt bulb is FCR. The 50 Watt bulb is JC12V50. It's not mentionned on their website.

Thanks
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #14
Inner Circle

There is a tab in the DC coupler that won't fit to the VL-10. It would be ideal if you can use it for a AC source for the light.

I'm using some generic brand BP-970G batteries for the VL-10. I can about 3 to 3.5 hours per charge to be used with VL-10. Not bad.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog