Need help with light & shotgun on XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 15th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #1
Mr.Cisco

Need help with light & shotgun on XL1s

I have the XL1s and I just got the Azden SGM-1x mic (http://www.azdencorp.com/sgm1x.gif).

I took the stock mic out of the holder and to my horror, the shotgun mic is too thin to be held in the holder. However the holder that came with it (see picture: http://www.azdencorp.com/sgm1x.gif) does fit in the accessory shoe. But if I do that, where do I put the light?

Thanks in advance!
Old June 15th, 2002, 08:44 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Have you thought about using some foam rubber around the mic? Not only would it act as a spacer, but should also help to isolate the mic from vibrations. Necessity is the mother...
Keith

Has anyone thought of an adapter that would hold a mic and a light, that would work on an accessory mount?
Hmm...
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 08:45 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Two ways to proceed...

Make some rubber bushings to properly fit the Azden mic into the XL1 mic clamp;

Or purchase a double shoe-mount bracket (at Radio Shack or a photo store) which mounts to the accessory shoe on the XL1 and provides two or three additional accessory shoes across the top of the bracket.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 09:07 PM   #4
Mr.Cisco

What about the MM-XL1 Universal Mini-Mount? Would that do the trick?
Old June 15th, 2002, 10:35 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Yes it would, but when you order it from LightWave Systems, be sure to specify which Azden mic you have so they'll send you the right bushing.

Old June 15th, 2002, 11:28 PM   #6
Mr.Cisco

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Yes it would, but when you order it from LightWave Systems, be sure to specify which Azden mic you have so they'll send you the right bushing. -->>>

Chris, I visited their site, however the "shopping" feature doesn't work and I can't find any info regarding bushings. I need to get this ASAP so I'm going to have to order it from somewhere else.

I wonder if another place would know about bushings? I know the mic is 21mm in diameter. The description for the MM-XL1 says "up to 30mm" so I assumed that it could tighten down.
Old June 16th, 2002, 09:39 AM   #7
Andreveroli

Your AZDEN microphone has 22 millimeters of diameter. It is very small for the Canon XL1 mount.
Tou will have to place a rubber between both.
The suitable rubber is called "rubber eva" or "goma eva" in my country. I not know the name in your country, but it is the black rubber used in the draught excluders of the doors of the cars.
It comes from different densities and it is very economic .
Is the same rubber that is used in the "lightwave system" in order to isolate the vibration.

Veronica
Old June 16th, 2002, 10:33 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, here in the USA we call it a "grommet" and that should do the trick.

Instead of shopping online with LightWave, just pick up the phone and call them Monday morning, that will be the fastest way of getting the right thing. They're in the L.A. area so they're on Pacific time.

Old June 16th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi,
Had same problem with my shotgun mic. I took 1" black electrical tape and wrapped it around it till it measured the same as the stock mic.

cost about $ .03

Hope it helps!

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog