Playback quality question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 12th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Playback quality question

Hi
My first post!

Have just purchased a S/H Canon XL1s (PAL) and tried it out last weekend at a polo match. Having got back to my office I connected it to a TV monitor via the supplied stereo video cable to see the results.

I'm seeing some horizontal 'broken' white lines (in-line dashes) across the screen of the TV monitor - about 5 lines of them. They appear to move up and down the screen randomly - and are not visible all the time.

I used a Panasonic DVC tape in SP mode, camera set on green square. Have also tried a different lead (just in case!) = no difference. Also put the XL1s recorded tape into another Camera to playback (Panasonic DS11) and it still shows these lines

Do I have a problem here, can someone please shed any possibly light on this issue?

TIA
John
John C. Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Have you tried a different monitor?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #3
New Boot

Process of elimination needed. Try a different monitor, try the tape in a different camera/deck.

Do you have any other tapes recorded from a different camera you could try in the XL1S ?

All these things will help you determine whether your problem is play heads, recording heads, video out port or tape.

Sort that out and I'm sure folks here will be able to direct you to the right "door".

Good luck with it

Marcus
Marcus Keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for prompt replies

Just taken the tape I recorded on the XL1s home with me and played on my TV there (to try to isolate the problem) - and no problem at all playing back - although I've connected actually via the Panasonic DS11.
Looks like the problem is the monitor in my office and not my XL1s purchase!

One other question. I will be using the camera mainly to film polo matches, and I chose this particular camera because of the 1.6X extender available (which I have yet to purchase). Question is, is there any degregation in the recorded image using the adaptor? Canon say not in their sales info - but....

TIA
John
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi John. Good to hear the XL1S is ok [phew].

Yes, I hear there is an amount of image degradation with the convertor. Some guys have made the statement that they'd rather wait for the action to come closer than grab a ropey long shot with it LOL
Bit extreme, but I guess it illustrates that there is no such thing as a cheap workaround when it comes to lenses !

All the best

Marcus
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Marcus

Well that's what I thought... Just about get away with the 16x - no chance of getting closer to thhe action!

It's a game I've played and been involved in for many years and it would not be possible to get any closer - without risking life and limb!!!!

Is there anywhere in Europe to try for a second hand one? It's very expensive to buy for an 'experiment' only!!!

I live and work in Sotogrande in Southern Spain - but I'm English ;-)
Best
John
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #7
New Boot

Haven't tried to get one myself John. Put off by negative comments.
How much are they ?
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #8
Trustee

John, I use the 1.6 all the time to do wildlife. I get fantastic shots. This combo gives to about 1,008 mm in 35mm world so USE A TRIPOD. Also, get your butt out of the green box and learn to really live. I would imagine in your case use a fast "shutter speed" and let the camcoeder determine the f stop. You will be very happy with the results. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #9
Wrangler

The 1.6x extender should give decent results. But keep in mind that at full zoom (1.6x16 = 25.6) it is difficult at best to hold a shot steady, even with a good tripod.
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #10
New Boot

Thanks to all
There is no way to get closer than I do to for video work - believe me - horses flying around at 30mph in all directions and a solid plastic ball at 100mph. Also there are rules relating to positioning 'off the field' .......

Seriously though, the speed and distances of the subject do not make it easy. Using a second camera would help - one for genearl field work, and one for some more close-up shots. Problem is that as most of this work is for coaching and critique most patrons will not go to that expense;-))

If anyone has a 1.6x extender they would like to sell, I would be very interested - also a MA200 mike adaptor and a CH910 Duel Battery Charger?
I live in Spain - so Europe would be better if possible
Thanks
John
John C. Morton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog