Using a Xl1s for live feed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Tourist

Using a Xl1s for live feed

Can I use my Xl1s as a camera used for live feed?
i.e. for filming a live event? If so do I need any special cables or attachments?
thanks,
zachster
Zach Turpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes. We do it every week. We have two XL-1 cameras connected via S-Video to a video mixer which is connected to a deck which is connected to a computer. We can actually capture the event into the computer live.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #3
Major Player

I shot a kick-boxing match about a year ago that required a live feed from my XL1S to a video projector that was hung from the ceiling of the arena. About 30 minutes before showtime, I discovered a 60Hz hum in my audio and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. All audio connections were disconnected, but it was still there.

It turned out to be coming from the video out to the projector. Fortunately, one of the other camera operators was a tech for a local TV station and realized that I needed a video isolation transformer to fix the problem.

He made a quick run to the TV studio to get one and arrived back just in time for the start of the show.

I had all sorts of audio adapters and transformers in my kit, but noting to solve this problem. I now carry a video isolation transformer as well.
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #4
Major Player

We also do this all the time, three cameras into a switcher.

The only special thing you need to do is to set your camera head to remain on at all times. If you don't and are not rolling tape, the camera will shut down taking the picture with it.

RB
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #5
Tourist

thanks for the info, I am used to using the camera but I have never used it in this way before. I am on my way down to Equador, and one of the things that needs to be done is to video a inauguration live so i am just trying to figure it all out. Any more info is appreciated,
zach
Zach Turpin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog