plugging evolution into on-board mic jack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 29th, 2002, 08:26 AM   #1
Major Player

plugging evolution into on-board mic jack

I tried to search for this and didn't see anything. The Sennheiser evolution system uses a 3.5 mm male plug identical to one side of the on board mics dual plug. The question is, can I un-plug the on-board mic and plug the evolution directly into the side that is identical. The reason I am not brave enough to try is because the on-board mic is stereo, but the connector for the on-board mic has 2 male plugs (one small male and one standard 3.5mm male) which are not identical, leading me to think the electrical connection is not standard (one 3.5mm pin for each of the stereo mics would make sense). When I originally researched which wireless sytem to buy I called Canon and they advised me that if a system was not xlr I could use a 3.5mm adapter and go into the audio 1 RCA jacks. If I could plug into the camera's on-board mic I would't need adapters? I also would not have to remember to flip the audio switch. I tried sennheiser also which did have expanded instructions for 100 300 and 500 series owners.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/products/evolution/wirelessindex.htm

scroll to the bottom of the page and it will have charts and PDF's that gives extra instructions to owners.

Thanks for any input
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #2

It works fine, I've been using it the same way for over a year. You can also get a custom made XLR cable to go from your Evolution reciever to an XLR if you want. You can get it at www.mayhewco.com, otherwise using the mini directly to where the onboard mic usually is connected is fine. The other small connector that the onboard mic uses is not needed for the Evolution.
Old June 29th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #3
Trustee

It's a mini stereo (3.5mm) wired mono. It's Ok.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, that helps a lot, I do have the CL 100 but I was hoping to free up the RCA Jacks, it would allow me to use a good mic system as well as RCA 1 as outputs. I was asked one time in a pinch if I could go live. I started thinking about stereo 2 as an output?? but the video was on 1, does the video lead still output when audio is input, then hoped the 6 volt cord didn't signal anything to the camera. A lot of questions went through my head. With this configuration the XL1S should be able to go live and my configuration will be easier.

Donny
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2002, 08:47 PM   #5
Wrangler

The bigger jack is the mic, the smaller mic power

On the main audio input connections, the 3.5 is the stereo mic input. The smaller jack is the power for the mic.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog