Color Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 11th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Problem

I do most of the weddings in the hotels, I use Canon Xl1s I observed that sometimes the color of the video footage observes blue color more. I asked a technician he told me a story stating that this ntsc xl1s is made for only united states not for jamaica., he means to state that weather condition of usa and jamaica are different. Can anybody help me in this regard. This thing mostly i observed in the mid afternoons. I dont detect when i am shooting the footage. but when i come back to office and start editing iam finding this peculiar thing. Please help me
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

First: are you using an NTSC camera in a PAL country or vice versa?

Second: do you do manual white-balancing? If not, which white
balance setting are you using?

Any playing around in the camera's custom settings to tweak
the color?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

color

Dear Rob i am using NTSC version of the camera. Mostly all the cameras in jamaica comes from usa. I tried the white balance, I am not saying it always happens , It happens sometimes. The footage looks completely bluish. Especially this happens when i am shooting the weddings in the mid noon. Only some portion of the footage gets bluish, Any way thanx for the reply

vamshi
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Warden

What is most effected, skin tones? I suspect you're encountering effects of increased UV and water vapor, causing a blue saturation to your images. You may need to use a warming filter for your mid day shoots or color correct in post with your NLE.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

hi jeff

I am very thankful for the post.. Mostly we shoot the weddings in the beaches where the moisture level is high, and also the wind. I appreciate the answer saying the warm level filters... Can you please tell what are these warm filters and if possible give me some links..so that i can check the websites. Any way I once again appreciate with the quick reply

vamshi
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Try to be aware of what's hitting your white card when you do a manual balance.

If your venue has lots of windows and tungsten lighting, then the position of your card will have a great deal of influence on the final result.

Pointing it upward toward the tungsten lights will cause the video to look bluish whenever the window light is prevalent. Conversely, pointing the card toward the window light will cause the video to appear warm when shooting under the tungsten lights.

Another factor is the camera itself: when was the last service done by Canon? If it's more than a year or two, it might have to be recalibrated to give you a proper white balance.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Warden

Dean, I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like Vamshi is shooting outdoors, not indoors. Most of the major filter manufactures produce warming filters, B+W, Heliopan, Hoya, Tiffen, and Cokin. Warm cards are also an option to alter your White balance. Do a search with the link in my signature or just use Google.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog