Double- or single-system sound? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 18th, 2002, 08:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Double- or single-system sound?

Hello, I hope I understand these terms correctly. When it comes to double-system sound, how would you sync the sources in DV? What equipment would you recommend that I begin doing research on? I wouldn't mind investing around $1000 or so for audio or more, and learning about sound enough to be an amateur sound mixer for my own productions. Can anyone tell me what a good starting setup would be or would you just recommend I record directly to camera? Thanks for your help!
katelins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

What kind of productions are you doing and in wht environment will you be shooting? That informationis important for selecting a sound system.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 04:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'd like to be able to have the choice to submit my completed projects for local film festivals, so I'd like the sound to be better than passing. Depending on the script, this could mean for a variety of environments of course so I am primarily concerned with a good audio setup that is both versatile and the best for my dollar in that range. Occasionally, we may have some steadycam shots, which means the setup has to be somewhat portable. One of the stories includes narration as well on top of the audio in the film. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
katelins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 04:29 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I prefer using a mixer/ HD recorder, and only use the oncamera audio as a reference for synching, and sometimes to fill in for a more stereo sound. I use Premiere as an editor, mostly because it actually shows the waveforms in the audio track, and not just a flat line. I find a landmark on the cameras audio, then match the captured audio to it.

The recorder I use is a Korg D12, which has its ups and downs. Upside is it records 18 hours of great audio. Downside is that it isn't the most portable device, and needs to be plugged in for power. I paid almost $1000 for it.

Coincidently, DV magazine featured audio recording in the field. The author used a Deva II, which runs on batteries, and uses removable HDs. It was $10,000.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #5
Wrangler

First and formost you need good mics. Sennheiser ME66/K6 combo is good and is a popular combination. They run say $350 each.

The XL1 in 16-bit/48 kHz mode is a fair audio recorder and its S/N is not all that bad, especially if you are loading it with field recording (as opposed to studio recording). But you should have a MA-200/100 to go with the mics. The MA-100 is just under $200.

Two mcis some cables, maoen stands or a cheap boom, and a MA-100 just about eats up the budget.

Some folks like to record to MiniDisc in the field, which gives about CD quality sound. They sync in post. You can find professional quality MiniDisc gear. It is not DAT, but does not carry the DAT cost either and it takes a good ear the hear the difference.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog