Speed Effect? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Speed Effect?

Hi,

I saw a Music Video today with a interesting effect.
All the Motion was very quick but the Voice and Lip and Hands/finger Movement was in sync.

I was wondering how that is done, is it a NLE effect, Camera setting?
Or do just behave normal except for the Vocal and Instrument movement, and then speed up the Film to sync?

Thanks

Shaggy
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

Did it look like the singer was part of the background? The singer could have been composited in.

Harsh manual method: singer lip synchs to a slowed down version of the song. Painstaking!
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

No, the Singer was also a Part of this effect.

First I thought they might just some kinda a effect (which I don't know) maybe to remove some frames. to give it that jumpy look?
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Air China Pilot

Can you remember the title of the video?
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #5
Wrangler

Note that good audio edting software can stretch sound while preserving pitch. This could speed up the sound with out changing he pitch. Could be coupled with speed-up video.
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This is a simple concept. They play back the song very slowly when filming. The singer sings to the slow song. When the music is played back at normal speed, the singer is "accelerated" while singing normally.
Scott Balkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've used this effect many times and for the effect I think you're looking for, I saw it in a Linkin Park video with a girl moving relatively slow and everyone else whizzing by... I believe that was probably green screened, slow shutter for the crowd, and probably 60fps while shooting the female slo-mo....

my thought..
Rob Onekea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Balkum : This is a simple concept. They play back the song very slowly when filming. The singer sings to the slow song. When the music is played back at normal speed, the singer is "accelerated" while singing normally. -->>>

Yep, i've used this too, works very well. Trick is getting the lip synch right on.

Saving private ryan also had a lot of shots done at half speed and then sped up to give it a chaotic feel, iirc
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

One of my talents was walking and singing backwards...very hard,very effective and...unusual?
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The reverse effect is also used: I saw a behind-the-scenes documentary on a Faith Hill video where the audio playback was sped up as was the camera frame rate. When played back at normal speed , she appeared to be singing in normal time while the background scene moved in slow motion - making for an appealing effect.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm wondering if he's thinking of an effect that is used a lot in post where portions of the video are sped up to get from point a to point b in 3/4 or 1/2 the time?

I know that I've seen it done a lot on edisodes of Survivor where they are flying over the team camp or the ocean and then suddenly the camera shot seems to slide 3 miles in 2 seconds.

There is a High Definintion Video clip on the Microsoft download page for Media 9 called "Coral Reef" that does this type of effect.

I've tried it a couple of times, but my footage it never quite as ellegant so it does not seem to lend itself to what I'm doing.

I know that a lot of video houses for music video post tend to re-use the same effects over and over and time slipping is really hot right now and has been for a while (remember the 80's where every MTV video had to have smoke machines for no reason at all!).

Best I can determine, simple clip speed adjustments and a couple of track layers with varied speeds and objects.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog