Firewire doesn't work on my XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 20th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Firewire doesn't work on my XL1s

Just for fun, how much does it cost to get that fixed? Just so I can pull out more of my hair while I kick my cheap tripods and worklights acrossed my room in anger.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:59 PM   #2
Major Player

When I insert my firewire cable, and turn my camera onto VCR it says DV IN. If it can recognize the cable, why can't it see it!?! When i insert my zr60 XP finds it just fine. I hate so many things right now.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:37 AM   #3
Major Player

I only had my XL1S a week when that happened. It appears that I burnt out the firewire port by not turning the camera off before plugging and unplugging. I took it back to Canon and they replaced the motherboard.
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Trustee

I had this kind of problem a few weeks ago, and Canon Canada estimated the cost of changing the board to 240$ CDN. Since then, I use a cheap ZR60 for capturing.
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Mine was fixed under warranty so it worked out OK. The worst thing was being without it for 4 weeks. Canon Australia did give me a loan camera just the same. If it ever goes again, I will not get it fixed. As you say, its best to use a cheaper camera for a deck.
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, I've been using my zr60 as a deck for sometime, which is why I have no actual idea when the firewire on it went out. Last night though, I wanted to play with lighting, and since I don't have a rca monitor, I wanted to firewire my camera to my computer. This way I could play with my lighting and see it better than on the small lcd. But it didn't work. My warranty goes out in september. I think after I shoot my short which I plan on editing for quite a while (hence not filming) I think I'll send it off to canon.

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog