DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   FU-1000 monochrome B&W CRT viewfinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/27981-fu-1000-monochrome-b-w-crt-viewfinder.html)

Chris Hurd February 8th, 2002 06:34 PM

You can dial the color out of the VariZoom monitors. And you can connect that monitor to the XL1 via the RCA composite video output jack, and connect say a pro Sony PVM 14" monitor via the S-video output jack. No problem having two monitors hooked up.

Also, you can use the CH-910 dual battery holder *without* the MA-100 or other shoulder support. The dual battery holder comes with a belt clip and a long cable for the power coupler. It's pretty versatile.

Dan O'Bannon February 21st, 2003 07:17 PM

B&W view finder

My new B&W view finder works fine when on a tripod but when hand held it falls down so I pull it up and it falls down, I do have the extender on the view finder. Is there a way to tighten it? Is that typical of the viewfinder or do I have a problem with mine?

Thanks Dan O'Bannon

Ken Tanaka February 21st, 2003 10:02 PM

Dan,
When you say "it falls down" I assume you mean that the eyepiece flops down. If so, you'll find a gnurled thumbscrew screw on the bottom of the unit, labelled "Lock", that will tighten the eyepiece's rotation.

Dan O'Bannon February 21st, 2003 11:44 PM

Eurika! Thanks Ken!

Dan O.Bannon,

learning somthing new everyday

Ken Tanaka February 21st, 2003 11:55 PM

Your question was incredibly timely, Dan. I am preparing a review of the FU-1000 viewfinder for the Watchdog portion of this site. (Watch for an announcement here within the next week or so.) I just completed touching-up and annotating a photo of the bottom side of the unit when I read your question. No kidding!

Dan O'Bannon February 22nd, 2003 11:32 AM

Wow! I think I saw a twilight zone episode like that once. What a coincidence.

Looking forward to your review.

Thanks again, Dan

Jim Giberti February 25th, 2003 11:25 AM

B&W Viewfinder

Hey Ken, one thing you may want to include in your review is a WARNING! about always tipping the VF down when shooting outside. I moved from the camera for a moment on a sunset commercial shoot this fall and by the time I leaned back, there was a puff of smoke behind the glass and the dreaded burnt electronics smell. I immediately powered down, etc. We had to finish the shoot through smoked glass and later, very fortunately were able to disassemble the unit and clean the glass and CRT and, aside from an actual drop of melted something beside the mirror, it recovered fully. Youwch.

Ken Tanaka February 25th, 2003 11:40 AM

Good tip Jim.

Indeed, there is such a warning on both the b&w and color viewfinders. Many have followed the path of the fried viewfinder. Someone actually makes an eyepiece hood that features a protective flap that covers the eyepiece when not in use. But, like so many well-intentioned devices it's apparently either poorly publicized or too much hassle to become popular.

Jim Giberti February 25th, 2003 01:31 PM

<<Many have followed the path of the fried viewfinder.>>

That's a very Zen-like warning to grasshoppers everywhere Ken.

Craig Weinstein February 28th, 2003 02:26 PM

Ken,

Do you have any contact or website listings for any of those companies that make protective viewfinder flaps?

Do you know if any of them are compatible with the FU-1000 Canon viewfinder?

-Craig

Ken Tanaka February 28th, 2003 02:39 PM

Craig,
Sorry, but I don't. I only saw such a device in a photo used in a different context. There were no details of the viewfinder cover provided.

Jeff Donald February 28th, 2003 02:52 PM

Have you seen the Shuttered Eyepiece from Optex?

Craig Weinstein February 28th, 2003 03:17 PM

Thanks for the tip regardless, Ken. I never knew a camcorder viewfinder was such a delicate piece of equipment.

No I hadn't seen Optex's eyepiece, Jeff. Thanks for the link! There doesn't seem to be any end to XL1 customization and improvement.

-Craig

Chris Hurd March 8th, 2003 04:36 PM

Ken has written a superb article for the Watchdog which covers this viewfinder in great detail. You can check it out right here.

Christopher Hughes April 15th, 2003 06:01 PM

View Finder

I have an XL1s with a standard view finder, which I find a bit hard to focus with, especially with the XL1s soft image. I love the image, but the only thing I find I don't like is the viewfinder. I have the colour cranked right down, and that seems to help, but its still a bit annoying to use, especially in low contrast shoots.

Well with this in mind I have two questions to pose to all you out there:

1) Anyone know a way to improve standard viewfinder, or is it just a case to buy the better one or a good monitor???

2) I find the eye piece very prone to steaming up, especially if you get a little hot. The seems to be no really change from cold to hot area, so assume its just from hot sweaty eye area, Anyone out there know any little 'tricks' to avoid this? Or is it again a case of just using monitor? I ask cos I have used cameras in very hot, and very high humid areas, so even more extreme than what I refer to here, but I always had a monitor. So any 'tricks' or hints from the old schoolers in here would be great!!!!