DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   FU-1000 monochrome B&W CRT viewfinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/27981-fu-1000-monochrome-b-w-crt-viewfinder.html)

Mark A. Foley June 2nd, 2004 09:43 AM

B/W Viewfinder Question

I just ordered two B/W viewfinders for my cameras and just finished reading Ken's fine article about this device...however, I'm curious what the funtions of the four LEDs on the viewfinder body....I assume a tally light feature but what else?....:-)

Ken Tanaka June 2nd, 2004 10:42 AM

Good for you, Mark. That was a pretty $ outlay but I think you'll be impressed.

Good question concerning those four little, red headlights. Answer: All four are tally lights. That is, they all flash together and have no other purpose. Go figure.

Mark A. Foley June 2nd, 2004 10:46 AM

do they flash together or in sequence? I'm trying to figure out the significance of having four LEDs.....

Ken Tanaka June 2nd, 2004 11:00 AM

They flash together. No Las Vegas effect. I've no idea why there are four. I think Ikegami made that design decision long before they retrofitted the viewfinder for the XL1.

Mark A. Foley June 2nd, 2004 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info....also after reading your article on the manual lens, it confirmed my decision to order a couple of lenses for the cameras also. Big money spending day (along with an addtional XL1s). I just hope my 501 heads with handle the additional weight....

Ken Tanaka June 2nd, 2004 11:11 AM

Aw, geez Mark. Whatever you do, stay away from my Firestore FS-3 article, at least until next month! And just ignore my upcoming article on the KinoFlo 12v lighting.

Mark A. Foley June 2nd, 2004 11:13 AM

good point as my money supply has become exhausted.....

Josh Allen June 9th, 2004 11:48 PM

Is that FS-3 article up yet Ken? I would love to hear your opinion on it.

Ken Tanaka June 9th, 2004 11:49 PM

It sure is, Josh!

Josh Allen June 10th, 2004 12:05 AM

Thanks for the link Ken. Great write-up, especially the XL1 caveats. Despite those it is still a very tempting unit.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic :)

Mark A. Foley June 10th, 2004 03:36 AM

Ken,
Do you know how much (I imagine probably negligble) of additional current draw is there present with the tally lights on? Due to the high cost of outfitting two cameras with the viewfinder and manual lens, I haven't yet upgraded to a dual battery setup. However, I am using the -945 batteries and hopefully will give me some decent recording time.

I'm getting ready to use the new equipment for a wedding shoot this weekend and in the past I've had piece of mind when I look up in the balcony at my son as verify his cameras are indeed rolling.

Ken Tanaka June 10th, 2004 09:37 AM

"Do you know how much (I imagine probably negligble) of additional current draw is there present with the tally lights on?"

No I don't, but I wouldn't imagine it to be a significant battery draw.

Tripp Stapleton June 23rd, 2004 05:00 PM

FU-1000 Viewfinder Problem

Hello,
My Canon FU-1000 Viewfinder all of a sudden won't power on. It's connected properly to the XL1s and has a fully charged Canon battery connected to it. THe stock FU-500 works fine.
Please advise if anyone has any tips or tricks that I don't know about.
Thanks,
David Stapleton

Ken Tanaka June 23rd, 2004 05:12 PM

It sounds like an internal fuse has blown. Another member encountered a similar problem not long ago. In his case the problem may have been related to using the camera on a/c power while using the FU-1000, something that the manual warns against.

Canon Service is your only alternative.

Tripp Stapleton June 25th, 2004 04:55 PM

Thanks Ken for the quick reply. I'll post more info here for other users who may have similar issues once hear back from Canon.