ASA/ISO For Canon XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 24th, 2002, 09:22 PM   #1
Looking Glass

ASA/ISO For Canon XL1s

Hello, all:

Does anyone have any idea as to what the ASA/ISO equivalent
would be for the XL1s. In other words, if I wanted to use a light
meter to meter my subject, what ASA film speed would I choose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Looking Glass
Old July 24th, 2002, 10:53 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

See the XL1 Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- go to Articles Menu > Camera Head. There are two articles discussing ASA for XL1. I guess the real question is, how much does this change for the XL1S. Any takers?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 06:59 AM   #3

As I've tried to determine the exposure index of my XL1s, I've read suggestion after suggestion on how to accomplish this (including that on the Watchdog site). As I've attempted this, it seems to vary under different lighting conditions. This is all being done without the benefit of a waveform monitor. Also, it depends upon the initial ASA setting on the light meter selected prior to the test. This has been my experience, anyway. There's an excellent chance I'm doing something wrong,too!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 06:59 AM   #4

In my own tests, the XL1s has an ASA rating of 160.I should note, however, that this will hold for proper exposure in sunlight. Over/under exposure in less than ideal conditions and the ASA rating will not be 160. The in-camera lightmeter has a different responsivity curve than a still camera light meter.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:04 AM   #5

Bill,

Your results are very close to result I get most often, that's an ASA 200.
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #6
Warden

Bill,

Why do you feel the XL1's internal meter has a different response curve? I'm going to run some tests in the next day or 2 and I'm trying to get different peoples ideas. I've read the articles here as a starter, but this subject has me intrigued.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:16 AM   #7

Jeff...

I've tried using a light meter, myself, for certain off-ideal lighting conditions and continue to have a problem if I don't double check it against the in camera meter. I read an article explaining that a video CCD has a different responsivity to light than film, accordingly, the light meter is designed to match. One must take caution when using a light meter designed for film on a CCD based device.
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:24 AM   #8

Bill,

In your last post, you said that an article stated, "...a video CCD has a different responsivity to light than film..." While that's true, all light meters are calibrated to properly render the 18% grey at the suggested exposure. The 18% grey is what it is, regardless of the medium recording it, isn't that true?

I don't understand what the difference in light meters would make.
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:38 AM   #9
Warden

Here's my ideas on running the tests. I'll use my Lux meter to actually measure the light levels falling on the 18% gray card. I will meter of the grey card with the XL1, XL1s, Nikon F5 and Seconic handheld meter in both incident and reflected mode. The measurments can be done in 5 or 6 different light levels as measured by the lux meter. The shutter speeds will all be set for 1/60 of a second. This will give me baseline data. But I'm not sure yet the best way to compare or plot the data. Any thoughts?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:42 AM   #10

Good dog....

Indeed, you're right....an 18% grey is used to determing correct exposure. However, that's just a design point. One point does not a curve make. There are off design conditions, as well...i.e. under/over exposure. While the meter is always right at a theoretically "perfect" exposure level, it falls down if you're intentionally over/under exposing.
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:48 AM   #11

Bill,

I still don't understand your point. We weren't talking about over/under exposure. We were talking about light meters responding differently and determing the exposure index of the camera. . . I thought.
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:50 AM   #12

well, if all you're interested in is using a light meter to determine a technically correct exposure, then none of this matters to you. If on the other hand you're doing some creative exposures, beware.
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:52 AM   #13

Bill,

I stand corrected. I went back and re-read your post and you stated, "...for certain off-ideal lighting conditions..." My bad, sorry!
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:54 AM   #14

NP.....;O)
Good luck!!
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:56 AM   #15
Warden

I'm not trying to put words in Bill's mouth but I think I understand his point. Film has a relatively linear response under most lighting conditions. But film is subject to reciprocity failure. It just doesn't occur under most lighting situations. For example in very low light the meter reads F2@60 seconds, but the correct exposure for the film is F2@120 seconds. Why? In low light the response curve of the film changes. The same must be true for CCD, except it occurs in more typical lighting situations.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog