capturing 2 channels of audio through fiewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 26th, 2002, 05:23 PM   #1
cubfan99

capturing 2 channels of audio through fiewire

I have some footage recorded on a Canon XL-1 with 4 channels (stereo 1 L&R, stereo 2 L&R) of audio. When trying to capture in Premiere 6, using the firewire and the pinnacle dv-500+ card, I can only capture stereo 1. Even if I select stereo 2 on the camera settings (which correctly outputs stereo 2 to the rca jacks and headphone jack), it still won't come through the firewire connection. Am I missing something, or is impossible to capture stereo 2 through the dv-500+ card? Thanks.
Old July 27th, 2002, 06:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

The problem is likely with your capture card/drivers. Firewire always carries all audio channels that were recorded on the original tape. But many capture card/driver combinations cannot capture the Audio2 signal if present. But then, few camcorders can record all four potential channels at once

The VCR mode menu settings in the XL1 mainly apply to analog output. during playback A work around is to record audio 2 from the analog output using your sound card and resync in post.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 07:30 AM   #3
Warden

Go to the Pinnacle site http://www.miro.com/start.asp and make sure you have the latest drivers. I doubt your card supports the 4 channels through FireWire but it's worth a shot.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2002, 08:49 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

You have to tell the capturing program which stereo channel you want (1 or 2). Unfortunatly, it seems MOST programs currently don't let you capture the second stereo channel via firewire. Even if the software allows capturing the second stereo channel via firewire, if you need BOTH, you will have to capture TWICE. Here are a couple of programs that do allow capturing the second stereo track via firewire:

EditDV/Cinestream - has given the option for either to be captured via firewire for years.

Scenalyzer Live - has recently added the ability to pick either stereo track to be captured.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2002, 07:54 PM   #5
Wrangler

The "DV.now" family from Dazzle-FAST also can capture all four audio tracks via firewire - while the video is captured.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 01:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Check out the "4-channel capture, weird clicks" thread a little further down the page. We discussed this topic there in some detail. FYI, Scenalyzer Live had a problem on my particular configuration (and, at least, on the Scenalyzer developer's configuration) doing 4-channel capture, but he fixed it and sent me a patch. A new official version with the fix is due out soon.
AlexOsadzinski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog