Canon XL1S on Amazon.com at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 14th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon XL1S on Amazon.com

Has anyone ever bought a camera from the used/new section of amazon.com and received it without problems? Also, have you been screwed by this?

There's a couple of XL1S's on amazon.com for less than 2k that are supposedly brand new. I emailed them and asked why and here's what they wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hello

Dear Tony

The camera is brand new in box,NTSC format,Full Accessories.
I had 2 Canon Xl1s+full accessories but i sold one and now i have just the other one for sale.
I bought the camcorders 1 week ago from Romania Electronic&Camera Shopping Store (the second largerst electronics and digital cameras store from my country Romania, that exported electronics, camcorders and digital cameras to US+Canada) that went bankrupt and i`ve got a great deal buying the Canon Camcorders and a couple of digital cameras.

-3 Year US Warranty-

Items Included with the Canon XL-1S:

XL1S Camcorder Body
Zoom Lens 16X XL 5.5-88mm IS II
BP-930 Battery Pack
CA-910 Compaqct Power Adapter
DC-900 DC Coupler
SS-1000 Shoulder Strap
WL-D3000 Wireless Controller
SP-100 Shoulder Pad
S-150 S-Video Cable
STV - 150 Stereo Video Cable
Lens Hood

If you are really intersted mail me as soon as posible and we will proceed with the shippment and payment.UPS/Fedex/DHL 2 day air insured.

Looking forword to hear from you.

Best Regards
Sincerely
Cristian
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If this is a scam, how do they get away with it? Amazon.com says that there's a safe purchase guarantee.

I just looked at the site again and since yesterday they have taken down all four cameras for sale in the used/new section of amazon.com... that's funny maybe they just now decided to crack down on it.

I would like to hear any expiriences for future reference.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #2
Trustee

I"m not an online s/h buyer expert but just there are a lot of "deals" from places like Romania that are known to be bogus.

Remember the golden rule

"If it sounds too good to be true - IT IS!"

Just don't bother - give up - don't waste your fingers clicking around the sale. It's just not worth it.

Aaron
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Tony,
I know for sure that is a scam. I bid on that many months ago and got the same form letter from them, and then my auction was cancelled by Ebay due to seller fraud. I even started getting bounced emails from fraud.aol.com off of them. Man, he sold that other camera and just had this one left back in november or thereabouts!
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey, thanks for the input... I don't think there's anyway that I would have gone through with it anyway, but I was just hoping to hear that it was legit somehow, lol!

How do these scumbags get away with this stuff?

Oh well.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thats pretty funny because that person listed two cameras and i tried to buy the other one. I was really sketched out about the whole purchase with him being from Bucharest, an area notorius for internet scams. And when he said he wanted a wire transfer i thankfully pulled the plug. How can he keep listing on amazon?
Ryan Mattos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog