new anamorphic adapter... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

new anamorphic adapter...

Can someone offer some specific info on this 16x9 adapter that I am hearing is available....website, price, etc.

thanks.

-paul.
Paul Figgiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:06 PM   #2
Trustee

me2, me wanna know. does it fit 3x?
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I use the Panasonic anamorphic adaptor (designed for the DVX100 - same 72mm thread) on my PAL XL1s and as long as you are careful (no extreme telephoto - no wide open) it really gives excellent results. I am surprised no one else has tried it, it is much cheaper than any other solution. It cost me around £600.

The 16:9 footage I have been getting looks fantastic and I have used it for a number of professional corporate and broadcast projects - the clients were very pleased with the results.

I can use (on the 16x servo) from full wide to 80% at least of telephoto, and wide is very useful with this adaptor, which is good because it won't work with the 3x due to its front element (don't know about the manual 16x). Focusing is no more problematic than without it, including be able to push the autofocus button on the lens to help with manual setting.

The only real disadvantage is you can't use filters with it, unless you modify the front (shave about 6mm of the hood) and then you can use a matte box - so Optex in the UK tell me anyway. Or you can gaffer tape 4x4 filters inside the hood as a tempoary measure, but this hasn't been a problem for me so far as I tend to avoid filters with the softer XL1s, except clear and polarising.

Here in Europe 16:9 has become increasingly mandatory and I find this a good solution.

Best regards,
John.
John Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Any screen captures from using the anamorphic adapter? Im new to optics and want to see what kind of effect anamorphic has on the XL1s. Or maybe you know a link where I can find a picture with anamorphic shots? Thanks for any info!
Christopher Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Christopher,

Sorry I've not replied sooner but unfortunately I have no facility to host screen grabs.

But If Chris is prepared to accept some stills from me for hosting here I will gladly submitt them.

They are from a PAL XL1s with the Panasonic anamorphic adaptor on the standard 16x servo lens.

Best regards,
John.
John Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Yup, just email 'em to me, a couple at a time. Email link below.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog