How can I... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 20th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #1

How can I...

Start 4 XL1's and 2 GL2's all at the same time, using one button device?
I have a Lanc control, whatever Canon's part # is. I thought that I could just use a Y-cable for 2.5 mm and plug 2 2.5 cables into 2 cams, and start them both this way. If it worked, I'd have moved to 3 cams, etc, and if that worked, just built a splitter box that would trigger them all.
However, even using a Y cable won't start 2 cams.
I can't use the IR remotes, areas are too angled. Think of a column that has a ring of cameras around it, and that's effectively what I've got. So, it's got to be hardwired. I can get by with starting 4 XLs at once without the GLs for now, but would still like to figure this out.
Am I dense, or is it really not all that easy?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Major Player

There are probably load (impedance) problems which lower the digital voltage values resulting in no communication. I would advise you to use your IR remote control and intercomnnect it by (cheap) plastic optical fiber. Bundle yr fibers at the RC and tape one on each cam IR receiver area.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Old Boot

Spot - there was a natty way that a Guy on the XM2 forum had come up with and made his remote perform in the manner you wish - albeit with only One Cammie - but I can't see why you could not do this with a string of optic cables sending the IR sig to all simultaneously . . .. he even had drawings and stuff .. it was his way of producing a "cheap" alternative to a LANC .. neat concept .. The trouble you are gonna get is that each and every cammie will have their own "Start" profiles. It depends on your need for the exactness of the start .. yeah?

Can't you just get 'em started and resynch for the Start in post? Probably not, otherwise you would be doing that instead . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #4

It's a safety issue. Can't have a body down there, and by the time a body could get to each of the cams, the event is basically over. Bulls and bodies don't get along well. (rodeo event with VERY tight quarters)
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:11 AM   #5
Old Boot

Dumb cameras . . CCTV .. ? No operators! With your knowledge you could really enhance the quality .. ? BNC them back to your "safe" monitor and record "Nest"! Nice project . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:54 AM   #6

Unfortunately, time is too short to locate them, it's a rural area, gotta go with what I've got. And what I've got is a handful of XL1s and GL2s, plus our LDK600s for walking interviews. I called around locally last night looking for optical fiber, couldn't find anyone in SLC that had any instock. I kinda think this is a dead end for the time being.

What's odd is I have 3 DSRVs and a VX cam, they all can start simultaneously with the Y cables.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM   #7
Major Player

I think, besides the potential impedance problems, it also depends how the LANC protocol is being implemented in a specific decvice. Lanc is anormally an open drain (collector) bidirectional communication concept. Only if the bidirectional part of the protocol (data acknowledge, counter info return,..)is being left out in the receiving device a y-cable solution could work.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:20 AM   #8

Which is why I thought that splitting the signal would work. The Canon ZR 1000 doesn't accept any return...it's just a one way send of information. It starts/stops all the Sony units just fine. Only the Canon cams won't function this way.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog