Broken Firewire connector at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 31st, 2002, 02:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Broken Firewire connector

Hi all,

Hope this is the correct place to post this, I'm new here.

I've recently had the misfortune of breaking one of the pins inside the firewire connector on my XL1. I still works after a fashion but i'm looking to send it away for repair.

I live in the UK and was going to send it to the Canon Consumer Imaging Service Centre in Borehamwood and was wondering if anyone here has sent there equipment off for repair before and what stories they may have. I'm reluctant to send it in the post but will do if others have had no problems.

Regards

Nick
Nick Glenister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:05 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi Nick,

I took my XL1 to :-

Canon UK Ltd
Service Centre
Unit 14A, Ribicon Way,
Luton
Bedfordshire LU4 9UR
Tel 01582 568412 / 568414

You can ask them to make it a priority. Mine was quite a major repair but was ready in 7 days.

Let me know how you get on 'cos I've damaged my firewire connector - stood on the lead - but I used it as an excuse to buy a Sony DSR-11 VCR ;-)

Good idea about a UK XL1 owners club. I'll be member no 2!

Brian Hazelden
Brian Hazelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Service Centre's

Thanks for the address, i'll let you know how i get on.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a Canon service centre closer to Norwich or Peterborough??

Nick
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:37 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Brian, can you clarify to this UK geography-deprived Texan what part of your country this service center is in? Near London by chance? Thanks for posting the info,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 01:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Chris, if memory serves me correctly Luton is about 30 miles north of London along the M1.

There is another servce centre in Borehamwood (Elstree) which is slightly closer to London.

Nick
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:44 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been on a long weekend. Nick's right for Luton but the service centre is just off Junction 11 of the M1 motorway, about 40 miles North of London, which is in the South-East of England ;-)

Hi Nick,

I've been told that this is the only UK service centre that repairs the XL1, which is why I drove 85 miles to deliver and again to collect. I guess the other centres will forward XL1's for repair but I wanted to put faces to names etc., as I had to have my camera for 'The 24 hour Galloway Video Challenge'.

Brian
Old August 6th, 2002, 01:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<the service centre is just off Junction 11 of the M1 motorway,

<<which is why I drove 85 miles to deliver and again to collect. I
<<guess the other centres will forward XL1's for repair but I <<wanted to put faces to names etc., as I had to have my <<camera for 'The 24 hour Galloway Video Challenge'.

Is it fairly easy to get too then? I was concerned about posting it but if its an easy journey (mostly motorways) then i might consider driving my XL1 there too.

Secondly what is 'The 24 hour Galloway Video Challenge'?

Nick
Old August 6th, 2002, 04:20 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi Nick,

>>the service centre is just off Junction 11 of the M1 motorway<<

Oops! That's what you get for relying on memory! I've just typed the postcode LU4 9UR into www.multimap.com and realised that when I collected my XL1 I came off at junction 12. It was a bit further, but easier to find.

The Galloway Video Challenge is an annual competition, open to all, no entry fee, run by a double BAFTA winner and a gentleman, 3 prizes of £1,000, free booze, free food and great company.

www.galloway-video-challenge.com

There's also an article on the 2002 event at www.thiac.org.uk

(Hope that's not too off-topic Chris)

Brian
Old August 6th, 2002, 08:00 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Not too off-topic Brian but I doubt many will see it because the thread heading is "broken firewire connector." You're welcome to re-post under a more appropriate subject header.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog