BIG problem with my XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 28th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #1
Tourist

BIG problem with my XL1S

Ok. Here's the problem I'm having with my XL1s.

After I shoot some footage and watch it in the playback, the video is all garbled and has a lot of large green blocks. You can sort of make out the footage behind it, but its just a total mess. This happened one time before, but the problem went away and it started working fine again.

ALSO, for the most part, in the viewfinder it looks fine, but sometimes it gets full of with little spots and horizontal lines. I think the issues are related because the video problem only happens when the viewfinder is having trouble.

The camera is just over a year old and I have have very few hours on it. Anyone else had this experience?

Please help me if you can!

Thanks,
Erik
Erik Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #2
Trustee

What about if you view it on a TV/monitor? If it's the same on both the EVF and TV then it's probably clogged heads. This seems to be common with XLs and sending it to Canon for a service usually rectifies the problem.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #3
Tourist

I'll test that out and let you know what I find out.

Thanks!
Erik
Erik Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Erik, I think you may need to get a Mini-DV head cleaning tape. I shot a class project with my GL1 one time after taking it on a trip to Europe. I showed the video and everything was messed up, looking just like what you described. So I went to the store for some tech support and the guy said that the heads were dirty and to buy a cleaning tape, and sure enough that solved everything!

If that doesn't work then send the camera in for service. That's pretty much all you could do at that point.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:19 AM   #5
Trustee

Sometimes a head cleaner will do the job if there is a little bit of break-up or excess noise. Give it a go but remember to follow the instructions for the tape to the letter as excessive use can do damage to the heads.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Tourist

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ran a head cleaner tape through it. No luck. It didn't help at all. So I just took it into the shop. We'll see what they say about it.

Erik
Erik Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog