DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 / XL1S focus hunting backfocus problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/31-xl1-xl1s-focus-hunting-backfocus-problems.html)

Greg Boston April 14th, 2004 11:46 PM

---> Use denatured alcohol and DO NOT to use a cotton swab. Use a foam swab designed for cleaning electronic components to avoid fiber residue. <---

A good way to clean gold plated contacts is with a nice CLEAN pencil eraser. Rub VERY GENTLY then follow up with foam pad and denatured alcohol.

The problem is that gold oxide is clear and even though the contacts appear to be clean, they may in fact have some oxide built up on them and won't conduct very well.

I have used this method on circuit board edge connectors for over 20 years as an electronics technician.

Ken Tanaka April 15th, 2004 12:19 AM

Indeed, Greg, the mild abrasion of a pencil eraser like the classic Pink Pearl (still available everywhere) is a great and safe cleaner! In this particular situation, however, it will be difficult to apply due to the smallness of the lens/mount contacts and the fact that they are slightly inset. Difficult, but not impossible. You could carefully carve the end of a Pink Pearl to fit into the contact recesses. One note of caution for anyone attempting this: take your time and be extremely careful that you do eliminate any eraser dust residue from the lens and, most importantly, from the body mount area. One tiny little shaving attaching to the CCD filter will make for a very unhappy shooter!

Greg Boston April 15th, 2004 06:59 AM

Ken,

Very true. I forgot to give the warning about eraser shavings near the ccds. I agree it would be hard to get to the lens side contacts, however, on my XL-1 they don't appear to have gold plating. The body side contacts do have gold plating on them and my earlier post was directed towards those contacts although I failed to mention that.

Again, if anyone does this, the key word is, RUB GENTLY! The gold plating is very thin and you could rub right through it.

On a side note..does anyone know where the lens serial number is located? I can't find it and I threw the lens box away a while back.

regards,

Ken Tanaka April 15th, 2004 12:37 PM

Greg,
The serial number on the 16X IS II (standard) lens is located opposite those electronic contacts on the body-end of the lens. You should be able to see the number engraved in that black semi-circular plate.

Greg Boston April 15th, 2004 02:04 PM

Thanks Ken! Although I have the first generation IS lens, your instructions were correct. It's not engraved very deeply and I have a hard time seeing it even knowing where to look.

Again, many thanks for that info.

regards,

Wayne Debeb June 8th, 2004 11:08 PM

Can't focus at wide angle on xl1s why?

Need help befor I send this xl1s to a repair shop>

I had this xl1s for about two years. I have used 140 tapes.
On my last recording I noticed that I coulden't focus on wide angle but when I zoom in it is as sharp as it could be.

is the problem with lense or the body.

Befor I call or send it to canon dealer I want to get an idea.

Please help.

Thanks

Wayne

Ken Tanaka June 8th, 2004 11:17 PM

Hard to assess the problem based on so little information. Off-hand I'd speculate that your lens' back-focus may be out of calibration. If you're using a manual lens you can fix this yourself. If not, off to Canon service.

Mark A. Foley June 9th, 2004 05:59 AM

Wayne,
Did you send the lens with the camera body when it went to the repair facility?

Curious...which repair facility did you send it to...West coast or East coast? I'm afraid one is superior to the other in terms of quality of work and turn around time.....

Mark McKinney June 23rd, 2004 05:28 PM

Focus Problems

I have been using the Canon XL1-s for a couple of years now. I had never had any problems until it started to eat tapes, so I sent it in to the Canon Factory last month. After the camera came back, it is having focusing problems:

I am using the manual (M) setting with a manual white-balance and gain at 0. When I zoom into and focus, everything is fine...as SOON as I zoom out to a wide shot the focus becomes VERY BLURRY!!!! The picture turns to mush. I have tried all different settings and the EXACT same thing happens every time. This is really bad for me because I have two solid days of shooting starting tomorrow afternoon.

I have read the many posts on this board about focus problems and none of the suggestions are solutions to my problem. I change settings, zoom SLOWWWWLY, EVERYTHING...I have been trying to get this problem solved for the last 10 hours and have reached a dead end at every pass.

Apparently this problem is a back-focus issue...If it is a back focus issue is there a fix to the problem before 2PM tomorrow afternoon, or am I just screwed?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

--I know I sound a bit frustrated. I am.

Ken Tanaka June 23rd, 2004 07:05 PM

Hello Mark,
It does, indeed, sound like a back-focus issue.

You did not specify the lens you're using but I'm assuming it's the 16x auto (white) lens. This lens has no owner-adjustable back-focus adjustment. I've been told that the lens is actually designed to adjust itself continuously, although I've not been able to verify this authoritatively.

However, under the assumption that there may be some truth to this remark, you might consider cleaning the electronic contacts between the camera and body. I would imagine that any kind of "continuous" focus calibration would require communication with the camera body. I recommend using a -new- Pink Pearl eraser very, very gently, taking care not to get any shavings into the camera or lens. Just a few gentle rubs should ensure that any contaminants are removed.

If this does not affect a remedy, I am sorry to tell you that you'll have to send the camera+lens back to Canon again.

Mark McKinney June 23rd, 2004 07:44 PM

Thank you for the response Ken...I will try the eraser.

Mark A. Foley June 24th, 2004 06:20 AM

If in fact the problem is generated as Ken's suggest, typically, with electrical component/contacts, a very minute occurance of filliform corrosion has developed. Simply performing a disconnect/connect of the lens should correct this.

Larry Hill June 24th, 2004 09:49 PM

I find this discussion of compelling interest as I have had the same problem with my XL1 and the 16X auto lens. I was on a shoot and ignorantly left the camera sitting in the hot sun for a protracted period of time. The lens began making a whirring sound continuously, but it did not appear to affect the focus or the iris. If the suggestion above of a motorized back-focus is indeed true, perhaps this was my problem, because immediately after this event (after the noise stopped and I let the camera cool for a while), I had the same loss of focus in going from telephoto to wide. I was very concerned as I certainly knew there was no back-focus adjustment accessible. The problem disappeared shortly thereafter, suggesting that the lens recovered and reset the proper back-focus. I would really like to get more information on this function.

Ken Tanaka June 24th, 2004 10:33 PM

Quote:

I would really like to get more information on this function.
Me, too. But I've not come across any. My "source" for this tidbit was actually a fellow named Greg Salmon who was presenting a seminar on the XL1S for Birns & Sawyer in Hollywood. I was reviewing his presentation on a B&S dvd and he mentioned this little tidbit while reviewing the lens. Greg is listed as being with "Technical Services" for Canon, so...<shrug>

Mark McKinney June 25th, 2004 05:53 AM

Here is an update of my situation. Yesterday I used the XL1-s (with a GL2 as backup) in a white studio for about 15 different interviews. I did the eraser trick as Ken suggested. The focus problem did not disappear completely, however it did not seem to be as severe as it was before. So, I think that the combination of the eraser and the white background (no colors or patterns) might have helped. So I have no definative answer. I have another shoot today and will keep you all posted. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!