Feeding XL1 with line level audio during shoot, possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 30th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #1
Contributor

Feeding XL1 with line level audio during shoot, possible?

Hi, I will be in charge of sound during a multi-day shoot using an XL1 (non "S"). I would like to use my pro DAT or my DVCAM as a preamp and feed line level audio to the XL1 input. I don't know much about the XL1 audio capabilities. Will it accept line-level audio while shooting? Do I need an active accesory as the MA-200 or Beachtek DXA6 or can I get along with just the right cable and/or adapters?
Old August 30th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Contributor

Ok I read http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article67.php and it seems, if what I read applies to the XL1 as well as the XL1S, that I will be easily able to do what I want. If I'm wrong, please alert me. Thanks.
Old August 31st, 2004, 04:40 AM   #3
Wrangler

Be aware that the MA-100 is designed for mic-level inputs. If you connect a line-level source to the MA-100 it may distort - especially if the signal gets above around -10 dBV and it is likely to clip the signal if it is much above that.
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

ATT-20

I have taken board feeds several times into my MA-100 & MA-200 and the only setting that gave me perfect audio was setting the internal audio setting to ATT-20. Mic was way too hot and line was way too low. I have not had a use for line level for anything so far and I still don't understand why it doesn't work like it should. Everyone, including myself, agrees that line should be the choice from an external board or mixer but it's not on the XL-1! I have gotten absolute perfect, full sound everytime by using the ATT-20 internal setting when taking external feeds from boards or mixers.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:54 AM   #5
Contributor

But given my DAT or mixer or other camera has a line-level RCA (-10) output, I can just hook that up to the XL1 line input and don't need the MA-100, MA-200, or Beachtek, right? or wrong?
Old August 31st, 2004, 12:41 PM   #6
Mad Scientist

Hi -- You can run audio cables from mixers or DATs or other line-level output devices straight into the Audio 1 (or Audio 2) inputs. But -- you probably already know this -- these are unbalanced inputs/outputs so don't run the cables too long (less than 25 feet).
Kevin Triplett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:05 PM   #7
Contributor

Thank you for responding my newbie questions. Running high quality cables is what I intend to do, and they probably will not need to be longer than 8m. I will put in some of those RF-reduction coils and everything will be battery powered so the possibility of radio noise is minized and ground loop is eliminated.
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

MA-100/200 or RCA alone

You know. You just made me realize something Ignacio. I can't believe I never thought about this. I have never actually run audio directly into the RCA inputs, only through an MA-100 or 200. Maybe that's how you can get the internal line setting to actually work for you or me for that matter. It would be a pain to have to adapt connectors instead of just using XLR though. Just another way to try if you definitely need to use the internal line setting. It's just been next to never that I've had the need to use RCA from a board or mixer. Could you just go from tape out (RCA) from a mixer/board straight into the XL-1 RCA inputs? I'm going to have to try this sometime to see what happens.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:46 PM   #9
Contributor

Precisely, my Sony DA10 has RCA outs. Usually in film work they feed the video assist cart. Or I might end up using my PDX10, since it has phantom power and... oh yes, and it records video too, might make a great B-Roll, not to mention backup audio :-)
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:02 PM   #10
Wrangler

Mixer outputs depend on the capability of the gear. MIC level output capability, if present, is often on the order of -30 dB balanced, and this should be OK with the MA-100 and the MIC ATT setting of the XL1. It is probably too hot for MIC setting, and likely too low for the line setting.

Professional mixers also usually have a balanced line level output, which is on the order of +4 dBU output, way too hot for the MA-100.

Tape outputs, if via an RCA jack, are usually unbalannced and consumer (-10 dBV) level, which should be OK with the XL1 Audio 1/2 inputs set to line level.

The MA100 and XL1 mic and mic att inputs are ~600 ohm input impedance, and this can cause level difficulties with gear (especially consumer stuff) that does not have a corresponding low output impedance.

Best to read the manual of the audio gear to determine what its output capabilities are, and unerstanding this will help determine the best connection method.
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:06 PM   #11
Trustee

a question from a newer than n00b person.

what is "way too hot" mean? overloaded? distortion?
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:39 PM   #12
Wrangler

Yes, too hot means too high a signal, that can cause overload leading to distortion and ultimately clippping.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog