My Comments on the XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 11th, 2001, 04:30 AM   #1
Paul Robinson

My Comments on the XL1s

I've finally recieved my XL1s after waiting for 8 weeks, and theres a few things I thought I'd mention.
Firstly it was said here that the tape transport was a bit noisier than the Xl1, I havn't really noticed this, though I havn't had the opportunity to try them side by side, either way the noise hasn't picked up on the soundtrack from what I've recorded so far.
The low light sensitivity and colour noise is worse than I hoped it would be, not much improved on the XL1 as far as I can tell, if theres any suggentions on lessening that it'd be appreciated (other than suggesting more light :) ).
The ND filter still decreses light by a huge amount, but this is no big deal.
Auto focus is still quite slow compared to other brands of camera (I've compared it to my dinky Panasonic DS11), but it doesn't seem to lose focus on a still subject as readily as the XL1, though for proper shooting I'd still use manual focus.
And lastly, is it my imagination or have they tweaked the manual zoom ring in the new lens? It seems to be a bit easier to use.

- Paul

Last edited by Paul Robinson; November 11th, 2001 at 04:41 AM.
Old November 20th, 2001, 08:25 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Thanks for your XL1S comments!

<< And lastly, is it my imagination or have they tweaked the manual zoom ring in the new lens? It seems to be a bit easier to use. >>

It's not your imagination. This lens has been completely re-engineered and is supposed to be a major improvement (in operation) over the old one. Thanks again,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2001, 07:26 PM   #3
Contributor

Did you notice that they did away with the "speed sensitive" focus ring, makes it much easier to use manual focus.
Alex
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2001, 04:41 AM   #4
Paul Robinson

Hmm yeah I think that's what has made the differance.... Though just off the top of my head, without double checking, I think that it stills zoom quicker if you turn it quicker, but it's not all funny and logarithmic like the XL1, Which I found pathetic to use, though others have made do with it, so maybe it says something about my patience :)
Old November 25th, 2001, 11:49 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< I think that it stills zoom quicker if you turn it quicker >>

You're right, it does; but he's talking about focus speed, not zoom.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog