MP's for TV broadcast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 17th, 2002, 08:31 PM   #1
sek0nic508c

MP's for TV broadcast

Does anyone have any experience using MP3's for TV broadcast use? I have some great royalty free music and SFX in MP3 format. Most of them are 44Khz 16-bit. I was hoping to convert them to 48Khz AIFF in Quicktime Pro to use in FCP. I plan to export via firewire and dub into Betacam for some short segments for broadcast on a local TV station.

Any comments about this? I know that technically, MP3's are highly compresseed and upsampling it and converting it to AIFF merely changes the "wrapper" but I'm on an ultra tight budget and was hoping to make use of what I have instead of shelling out money for an audio-lay-in after my final edit at an audio post facility.

Thanks!
Old September 20th, 2002, 09:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I am certainly no expert in this field, but I suspect that you will find that this method will introduce artifacts that will render your final product unacceptable for broadcast. I have found that using a similiar method for converting 44.1 Khz to 48khz sounds good on a normal tv speaker, but you will hear audible clicks on a home theatre system. Luckily for me the production music that I wanted to use was originally recorded in an analog format so my options are open.
Old September 24th, 2002, 03:01 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

It mostly depends on what bitrate those MP3's are.... But they
will never be the same quality as an uncompressed or lossless
compressed file (like PCM). I think I would go with at least
192 kbit. 256 or 320 is much better. What bitrate are they?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2002, 08:30 AM   #4
Major Player

As a test, you might want to try taking a CD you do own and play it over a nice sound system and then compare it to an MP3 played over the same set up to see if the difference is noticeable. Choose songs that have a similar profile to the MP3s and SFX you want to use, meaning, if they have lots of bass, use a song with lots of bass. If your music and SFX have lots of sharp highs or deep lows, you'll notice more loss than a flatter piece of audio. As others have said, the higher the bitrate the better. And the encoder actually can make a big difference as well.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog