Please help with wireless purchase decision! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 25th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Tourist

Please help with wireless purchase decision!

I have an XL1 that is a work horse but won't last forever. So even though I would love an MA-200, I'm going to just get the MA-100 for now since it won't work on my new XL2 (in a year). I've gotten along so far without either the 100 or the 200 so 2 inputs will be great. (you can disagree if it's a bad decision and I'll shell out the extra $$$s for the MA 200)

Now with that MA-100 I want one of the following mics. Please help me decide. I have read this site and others for 3 hours and see so many options that I'd just like to put these out there for a vote. It is for corporate videos and I can't afford to reshoot:

AZDEN 500LTS
Camera Mountable UHF Diversity Lavalier Microphone System With 500UDR Receiver - 41BT Belt Pack Transmitter And Sony ECM-44H Lavalier Microphone - $639

SENNHEISER EW512PB
Evolution 500 Series UHF Lavalier Wireless System - Camera Mountable - SK500 Body Pack Transmitter - ME2 Omni Lavalier Microphone - EK500 Portable Receiver - B Frequency Range 630-662MHz $829

Sony UWP-C1 (66) True Diversity Portable Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier Microphone System (782 to 806 MHz $500

((don't really want to spend this much but will for quality and reliability)
Lectrosonics 100 Series - Wireless UHF Lavalier Microphone System Including the UCR100 Camera Mountable Receiver, LM Digital Hybrid Beltpack Transmitter with Tram TR-50 Lavalier Microphone (Frequency Block 26) $1200

Thank you very much,
Nancy L. Smith
Sutton Bay Media Company
Nancy L. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #2
Warden

I use Lectrosonics and have for years. I used them in broadcast at the station I worked at. None finer in my opinion and they hold their value very well. My second choice would be the Sennheiser or Sony outfit.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, I've had pretty good luck with the Azden 400UDR which is the old version of the 500. They both have 63 user settable freq. to chose from, and it's not really expensive. When I shoot a wedding, I'm starting to use a mini-disk recorder on the groom. It syncs up perfectly in my NLE, and there is never a drop-out!
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This is a response I submitted some time ago...but it may be appropriate here as well:

under $600.00 wireless system:

While there are several excellent systems on the market, I've found one that is reasonably priced, (street price, around $500.00), extremely hardy, camera "mountable" all with fairly clean, strong sound. It is the lesser known AT (Audio-Technica) "U-100" series. Here is a link at B&H,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=81&a=340_2811&shs=&ci=3785&ac=&Submit.x=16&Submit.y=14

In any case, this has been a workhorse for me for several years...never having let me down in both urban and rural, indoor and outdoor environments, (each has its own transmission peculiarities, as you probably know). And, the AT service has been excellent.
It's not the only one I use, but it's always in my traveling gear.
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Plain and simple, you cannot beat a lectrosonics product. I have used them, but do not own one. Would do so if I could.

All of the products you mention will likely serve you well. Personally, I'd probably choose the Audio-Technics, but only because i've had the opportunity to use their pooducts consistently over a long period of time. No other reason.

So, take another close look at each, and try to imagine each product as you would use it. Which one best suits your production routine?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog