Filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 25th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Filters

I'm looking to purchase some filters and would like to get some feedback on what I should buy! I will be doing the majority of my filming on a golf course. I know I need a UV filter for protection and I was thinking of a C.P. Filter.

Can anyone suggest a Company (Tiffen, Hoya, etc...) to look for? I'm looking for the best quality!

I'll be using an XL1S
Matthew Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hi Matthew,
I'd recommend starting with those two, plus perhaps one neutral density filter to supplement the one in your lens. It's likely that you'll not need any others, at least of the screw-on variety.

Filters are really just problem-solving devices. What you'll really need beyond this will depend on what you shoot, ergo the type of problems you encounter.

Don't be cheap when buying filters. B+W and Schneider are two of the best brands, and yes they're more expensive.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Regarding ND filters, if you're only getting one (which is probably enough), make sure it's significantly less than the one built into the lens. If memory serves, the 16x lens for the XL1s is an ND 0.6 (2 f-stops) filter. Get yourself an ND 0.3 filter (1 stop) as a supplement, rather than an extra 0.6 or a 0.9 filter. This will give you maximum flexibility, because you can use the 0.3 by itself, the built in 0.6 by itself, or both together for a 0.9 total. That should get you by in just about any situation you come across.

The only other general purpose filters I can think of that you might want to have handy are some pro mist or haze filters, but that depends on what kind of look you're going for. If you're shooting golf, you probably don't need those. Combined with the ND and CP filters, these will cover your basic situations. After that, it really is a case of getting the right filter for the look/feel you're going for, and that's a project by project (or even shot by shot) decision.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog