Revisiting the Optex PL-to-XL Mount Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 29th, 2002, 10:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Revisiting the Optex PL-to-XL Mount Adapter

I have been wondering:

Since the physical frame size of 35mm film is much bigger than the 1/3" CCD of the XL1, one would not get an exact reproduction when using this adapter; the image size formed by the take-up lens exceeds the area covered by the CCD.

Which also means that the flange focal length has overshot the focal plane (i.e., the CCD) and is converging to a point somewhere behind the CCD.

Would it help if we extend this flange focal length by moving the take-up lens further forth of the CCD (and the camera body) so that the focal point can fall onto the focal plane?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we try and preserve the flange focal length of the PL mount (2.047 inches, 51.9938mm), wouldn't we essentially have a 35mm image hitting the CCD? However, I suspect there will be heavy vignetting at wide open.

I have absolutely no idea if I'm making sense or not. Any thoughts or opinions to share?

Clayton Lai
Clayton Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 07:03 AM   #2
Warden

I believe the OpTex adapter uses a relay lens. The relay lens compensates for the flange focal length differences. The use of a relay lens is the inexpensive way to adapt various lens mounts to the XL. The expensive way is with the PS Technik adapter. If you use the search for Technik you'll find several threads discussing the merits of it.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 10:54 AM   #3
Major Player

The optex adapter is not optical and in turn does not scale the image plane down to the size of the ccd. Hence the telephoto effect.

The mini35 from P+S Technik uses a ground glass to relay prism than an optical iris to transfer and scale the image to the ccd. This gives you the same focal length as rated by the lens you are using.

I believe if you move the lens further from the ccd you'll only make the image even larger than the ccd. Pretty much the exact affects of a range extender.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2002, 08:39 AM   #4
New Boot

Justin,

I suppose you're right. We'd need a glass of some sort in there to collimate the entire image formed by the take-up lens onto the CCD, which is what the Mini 35 is all about.

Oh well, I was just toying with the thoughts of having alternatives to the Mini 35. So much for wishful thinking. =P

Then again, has anyone tried this adapter? I remember Charles Papert saying he wanted to try it out. I wonder if he (or anyone else) already had.
Clayton Lai is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog