DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon Service (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/34797-canon-service.html)

Henry Bradford May 12th, 2004 11:04 PM

Canon Service Woes

Has any one had this problem: I contacted Canon a couple of weeks ago to inform them of my problems with mosiac noise on my xl1, of which they promptly sent me a box to mail the camera in. was told I would get a call or an email on the diagnosis and estimate on the problem, this would come the Monday following the Thursday receipt of the product.

After about 3 business days with my camera, they sent me an estimate. The "estimate" for repairs was $400. This was basically a ballpark pitch at the problem, as they never itemized what $400 would buy me. It was a struggle being bounced around to service folks at their 800 number, finally I was given the local number to Irving to discuss the status.

I talked with Pete in Irving, who basically couldn't tell me nothing, then he told me he had a tech buddy who worked in service who would take a look at my camera and he (Pete) would get back to me.

Long story short, I never got a call back, when I called today I talked to someone else who threw some stuff at me and told me it would, again, take $400 to service the camera. The $400 would possibly cover it, but there would be a possibility that it could be more. On top of that, I got a revised email with the "quote" and an ADDED sales tax, what's that all about?

Any way, I really need some help. I need my camera repaired, I'm not sure why they can't itemize the repair estimate. Nor do I particularly understand why there are various rates for these adjustments floating around and I seem to be getting the boo boo end of the stick. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Frank Granovski May 12th, 2004 11:26 PM

It wasn't dirty heads?
Quote:

problems with mosiac noise

Ken Tanaka May 12th, 2004 11:34 PM

Sounds like a bit of a frustrating, but unfortunately typical, camera service episode. I doubt that anyone here will be able to offer you any help, per se. At best, emotional support. At this point it will likely be a take-it-or-leave-it situation. And, of course, if you "leave-it" you'll still be stuck with shipping charges.

The "mosaic" problem sounds characteristic of a dirty head. I assume you tried to use a cleaning tape to remedy the problem before you sent it to service? Did you also send a tape exhibiting the problem with the camera? (Always a good idea.)

I would imagine that Canon looked at your general problem description and simply categorized it for their gross estimate (ex: "Not Too Bad=$200", "Kinda Bad=$400", "Really Bad=$650", "Devastating=(market price of new XL1S)"). As such, they probably don't have a detailed estimate..."Hey, we ain't Mr. Goodwrench, buddy!". Based on others' reports $400 generally buys a good cleaning, head realignment if needed, and a general reset to factory specs. But that's just my speculation.

Good luck, Henry.

Henry Bradford May 13th, 2004 10:06 PM

I appreciate the responses; to the questions, yes I did run a head cleaner several times, to no avail. It never dawned on me to send a copy of a tape exhibiting the problem to Canon. I guess I need to do what I have to do and pony up with the dough. Thanks for the insights.

Butch Jones May 14th, 2004 01:39 PM

Been there, done that. Got an XL1 on a stand now that has cost me $900 in repairs over a year period. Went out two weeks ago and decided to put it on a stand and use for studio drop only(firewire feed, no tape needed).

I talked to a guy named Mark Drury that does an outdoor show and has used the XL1 since it was fresh. He said that their problems with sticking heads seemed to be healed when they went away from Panasonic PQ-63 tapes. His words, not mine. Different lubricant seemed to be the difference.

Someone that is better versed in the details of the tape business may be able to help with that.

Henry Bradford May 14th, 2004 09:47 PM

I started to wonder about that, I when I switched over to the AY-DVM brand made by Panasonic, the professional brand, I started to notice the mosiac stuff. Now, Butch, as far as your experience, did they start by saying it would cost $400 then hike the price up or what?

Chris Hurd May 14th, 2004 10:20 PM

As Ken points out, the prices are typical. Usually it starts at $250 just to open up the camera. Another $150 for repair, total $400, sounds about right. What you're paying for is labor, primarily, plus a high premium on very rare parts... tiny springs, certain capacitors and the like. I have never heard of a detailed estimate. Once the camera comes back they will list what was done to it... replaced heads, braking mechanism, etc. You pretty much have to grin and bear it; after all it's the only way to get the thing fixed.

Henry Bradford May 15th, 2004 10:00 PM

=(

I guess I saw it coming. One more thing, did anyone get charged sales tax for the repair? How does that work that they can tax me when they are in CA and I am in TX?

Ken Tanaka May 15th, 2004 10:26 PM

Don't blame Canon; it's the law. Companies that have business operations in a state that imposes a service tax must collect that tax from customers in that state, regardless of where the service was performed.

Jeff Donald May 15th, 2004 10:30 PM

If the company has operations (offices, warehouses etc.) in your state, htey are required by law, as Ken states, to collect sales tax on services. In some states, repairs are tax exempt, so it will vary from state to state.

Mark A. Foley May 19th, 2004 08:06 AM

Henry,
What are you using to capture your footage? This problem has cropped up before in other threads and at that time, (me included in this), it was discovered that most of of were using a JVC deck to capture our footage. ...just curious.....
Mark

Henry Bradford May 20th, 2004 10:14 PM

I was primarily using my XL1 as a deck, but no longer. I have a Dvc-pro deck I usually borrow from a friend that I use with an adapter. I am on my way to the electronics dealer to buy a MiniDV cam so that I can have a dedicated deck (at a reasonable price) going forward.

I would also like to let everyone know that I got my camera back today, they had it done for me on the next day it seems (Isn't that something). I got it back today.

I have a question...DV tapes. I switched to the professional panasonic DVm83pq's, I will exclusively use this brand unless I hear different from you guys. What do you think?

Mark A. Foley May 21st, 2004 04:46 AM

Henry,
If you cruise through similiar threads you will find the overall theme is stay with one type of tape....myself started using PQ's after I got my cameras cleaned/serviced @Canon.

Sunarto Sosrosaputro June 18th, 2004 02:51 PM

Disappointed with canon service

I very very very ..... disappointed with canon service in my country ( Indonesia ).
I have been sent my camera ( XL1S ) to canon service center for 4 months. But until now, I don't know my camera will come back to me.
They said, because the spare part not yet ready, waiting for delivery. ( 4 months, that isn't sensible ).
Can somebody help me ?

Thanks

Rob Lohman June 19th, 2004 04:48 AM

I doubt anyone can help you. The only thing you can do is call
and perhaps write a letter to the people in charge of the company
(in Indonesia).

Perhaps you can write a letter to Canon HQ as well to complain
about Canon Indonesia. Here in Holland we have a couple of
organisations that look after interest of consumers and I could
contact them to see if they can help. I'm not sure if Indonesia
has something similar.

Chris Hurd June 20th, 2004 11:56 AM

Four months is way too long. You should contact Canon customer service in your area and file a complaint.

Sunarto Sosrosaputro June 21st, 2004 01:14 PM

Thanks to support to me.
I have been called the canon service center, but they said waiting for delivery ( I have been called almost 15 times ).
The answer is the same ( Waiting for delivery ).
the people in charge of the company will come back to Indonesia on June, 28th.
I will call again on that date. But I hopeless will get good news.
Anyway, thanks again.
Sorry, my english isn't quiet good. Because english isn't first language in my country.

Sunarto

Phil French September 8th, 2004 10:36 PM

Canon service or lack of...

Sent my XL1s to Calgary for service over two weeks ago (problems with tape transport). I phoned them three times, last week, just to get info on the status of the camcorder and an estimated time line. Each time I phoned (long distance) I got a different person. None of them could give me any info at all or even tell me for sure that they even had my camcorder and each promised to call me back. I have yet to get a call. All I want is some news, good or bad, and confirmation that Canon even has my XL. Not real happy with Canon service. If I have to phone again, I'm not going to be near as pleasant as the previous times.

Don Palomaki September 9th, 2004 04:58 AM

How did you send the camcorder to Canon - most shippers (at least in the USA - do they in Canada?) offer tracking that will allow you to confirn delivery. Also, did you have an RMA from Canon or just send it in? Was it specifically marked for XL1s camcorder service?

Phil French September 9th, 2004 12:21 PM

Hi Don. The camcorder is warranteed through a third party. That is beside the point really. I'm sure I can track it through the shipper ( I have the waybill) and it is insured. When three different service reps tell you that they will call you back with some info and they don't call at all, that's what gets me. I work in the service industry and if you promise to do something you better follow through. If there is a problem I need to know and I can start tracking the shipment from my end. One of them thought it was there but didn't know for sure.

Don Palomaki September 9th, 2004 04:14 PM

> The camcorder is warranteed through a third party.

Interesting. This could complicate the issue - is Canon's legal business relationship with you, or with the third party?

Good luck with the repair.

Phil French September 9th, 2004 05:11 PM

No business was happening -- either with me or the third party. My XL had been looked at, but no estimate was given to anyone. I finally got everything straightened out today and everything is back on track. I talked to Ryan at Canon Calgary and he was very helpful. There was a bit of a mix up and I'm okay with that. It just took some communication to get things going. I guess the moral is that, after everything is said and done, good service still comes down to individuals who care about what they do. Thanks Ryan!

I certainly didn't write this post to bash Canon. I have been very happy with my XL1s. It is one tough camcorder.

Steven Digges November 11th, 2004 09:30 AM

Canon Service

How long did it take Canon to turn around your XL1 when you sent it in for annual service? Thoughts on California or New Jersey? I need mine serviced fast.

Steve

Jeff Donald November 11th, 2004 10:44 AM

Are you a member of the XL1/2 Owners Club?

Steven Digges November 11th, 2004 11:58 AM

Yes I am. Please let me know how that can help.

I am also a Canon Professional Services member, but that does not help me with the video repairs. Does the XL1 Club have similar benefits?

Steven Digges November 11th, 2004 12:11 PM

Jeff,
Thank you for the reminder about the XL1 Club. I dug out the card I had in a file since 1999 and called the 800#. I now have a priority code to get the Camera serviced in 5 business days. I had forgotten club membership was good for something. You gotta love Canon.

Steve

Jeff Donald November 11th, 2004 12:12 PM

I think it may have similar benefits, at least cost wise, shipping etc. I doubt they have a loaner policy though. Give the club number a call and see what they say.

Steven Digges November 11th, 2004 12:28 PM

Also, I have read someplace that the New Jersey center was charging less for service than the California center. I asked the Canon rep if this was true and she said that was impossible.

Steve

Don Warren December 6th, 2004 02:09 PM

canon service center

beware sending camera to have serviced by canon,sent to have cleaned and serviced,e-mail came back with a bill of 450+ saying that the case where mike attached was broken and that the case had to be replaced??????the piece was about a 1/2 long and no way affected anything including the mike.told them to just clean it,they said about 95.oo.ok.i then get another call later saying the camera was extremely dirty and it would be about 245.???????was encouraged to pay the 450 instead.sorry canon bad business,told them to return it.anybody want to buy a 2000 xl1?

Don Palomaki December 7th, 2004 06:32 PM

OK, so how dirty was it? How long since the previous service/cleaning? How many run-time hours? In what environments was it used? Where there problem that caused you to send it in for cleaning? How did the case break?

Sounds like Canon wanted to restore the camcorder to factory spec condition, and thereby avoid the alternative complaint that they did not fully service the machine.

Don Warren December 8th, 2004 07:05 PM

canon service center

some where my point was lost ,i sent the camera for a service clean and check,as reccomended by the watchdog site,just a clean and service.the camera worked fine when it left here,NO problems.i get an e-mail sying the bill was 458+.reason they wanted to replace the case???why a piece of the plastic ring that holds the mike in place was broken off.1/4x 3/8.it did not affect anything not even the mike.it still worked in any position.again all i wanted was a service and clean.so i called back,we talked and i told him what i sent it there for.he said ok,that would be about 95.fine.15 min later i get another call saying it was worse than they thought,it was extremely dirty and would cost about 245.no thanks.im sure with your reasoning that canon would love to refurbish the whole thing along with a bill that would buy another one one bay.ive worked the service repair business and this is status quo.i dont have deep pockets.sorry if you think im wrong.Don

Nic Maguire July 18th, 2006 09:52 PM

Best time to service the XL 1S?

As mentioned before in other posts i use the XL1S in mainly dusty and dry conditions and sometimes in wet weather where there is some mud so would anyone recommend how many hours of use before u either have to run a cleaning tape thru it or put it in for a clean and service?.

I've been told by other MX cameraman they do every during their off season but i film mainly year round with breaks of only about 4 to 6 weeks at most?.

After each meeting i do clean and blow out the external body etc where dust can get in does anyone have any basic cleaning regimes they follow after use in such conditions or climate?.

Any advice is greatly appreciated with thanks for this Newbie:).

Don Palomaki July 19th, 2006 04:49 AM

For normal use, head cleaning tape only when there are indications of a head clog, and an annual service by Canon - that normally takes about 1-2 week turnaround. However, if used in adverse conditions, more often may be necessary. You will have to judge based on your field use.

Some folks have put masking or gaffer tape around the tape loading door to reduce the possibility of dust entering when in the field and go to a cleaner location to change tapes.

Nic Maguire July 19th, 2006 05:29 AM

Thank you for the advice Don much appreciated particuarly that last tip i will try that this weekend whilst filming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
For normal use, head cleaning tape only when there are indications of a head clog, and an annual service by Canon - that normally takes about 1-2 week turnaround. However, is used in adverse conditions, more often may be necessary. You will have to judge based on your field use.

Some folks have put maskign or gaffer tape around the tape loading door to reduce the possibility of dust entering when in the field and go to a cleaner location to change tapes.

John Mahoney October 3rd, 2006 08:56 AM

service Issues

i have had my XL1 since Feb. 1998 i dont use ity that much since i also have a Sony DSR-D35. I must say i am happy with the Xl1 even though it has its Quirks.
Recvently however I have been having some problems.

First- The Power Wheel which determines what shooting mode one uses is no longer accurate. For instance when I go to Green Box mode, the viewfinder displays TV60 and so on. The only setting which is accurate is Manual, which is OK because its all i use. I can live with this problem

Second- I can only access the menu using the remote. If I push the menu button the camera will momentarily shut down. Release the menubutton and it turns on again. If I use the remote to go into the menue it works fine. I can live with this problem also.

Third- I recently shot some footage of sailboats, about 40min. ( during which I burned the viewfinder a little) when I got back and looked at the footage (which looked fine while I was shooting) I noticed that I had sections of footage which had odd bands running through it. then sections of black lasting about 10sec. where the timecode would go back to zero. I am hoping this is just dirty heads. I sdon't know hjow to add a Jpg. of this or I would.

Any comments?

Also any comments about which Canon Service Center is better East Coast
or West Coast

Don Palomaki October 3rd, 2006 07:26 PM

Sure sounds like very dirty heads. New Jersey is closer to RI, so you might save a wee bit of time/shipping.

Andrew Dryden November 20th, 2006 07:34 PM

Head Cleaning Cost and Location??

Hi all. I'm a newbie on the list and have really enjoyed reading the archives. I have an XL1 that I have been using to shoot outdoors in Honduras. Recently I have been getting a head cleaning needed notice in the viewfinder as well as horizontal bars in playback etc. I have ran a head cleaning tape through it and it sometimes fixes the problems but sometimes not. If I record for a half hour with no fragmenting does that mean it is fixed? If I choose to send it in for cleaning and alignment how much should I pay? There is a local place that can clean it for roughly 65 dollars that works on XL1s' but is obviously not certified by Canon...have people used third party cleaners?? Any info would be helpful. Thanks,
Andrew

Lorinda Norton November 20th, 2006 10:23 PM

Hi Andrew,

Can't answer your question about whether or not you "fixed" your camera with the cleaner tape--you're pretty much taking your chances that it won't act up when you need it most.

I've always sent my cameras to Canon Service in Irvine, CA. For a basic cleaning and checkup it has cost $252.00. Canon would send you an estimate that you must approve before they do any work on your camera.

Ken Diewert November 21st, 2006 03:24 PM

Andrew,

The cleaning tapes should only really be used in an emergency. Like if a terrorist has a gun to your head and says 'put the cleaning tape in, or die'. Even then only run it for 10 seconds. It's kind of like sandpaper.

You say your 'local place' is 'obviously not certified by Canon'. It makes it sound like it's pretty low end. Because you were shooting outdoors in Honduras, you may have picked up some foreign substance (literally and figuratively) in your tape compartment. At this point, if you can't find a REPUTABLE service depot within driving distance, I'd certainly send it in to Canon. I'm pretty sure Canon doesn't actually have authorized service depots anymore, but a head cleaning is pretty basic stuff. However, being that it's an XL1, it probably is older and could use a factory service.

Just my 2 cents

Chris Hurd November 22nd, 2006 12:00 AM

In the United States, Canon has two factory service centers for their camcorders:

Canon Factory Service
Attn: Video Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
tel: 732-521-7007

Canon USA
Attn: Video Service
15955 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA 92618-3616
tel: 949-753-4200

See http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service