Canon XL1 on the Jumbotron at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 11th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon XL1 on the Jumbotron

I have a unique problem, but maybe someone has run into the same problem. My small production company provides the video feed for our local University's jumbotron. We use two Canon XL-1s on the press box video decks to follow the action. We use an older Canon XL-1 for the field Camera.

The first three games went great (They were all at night)

We ran into a problem at our last game the XL-1 appeared very dark on the Jumbotron. we switched locations to see if it was a cord issue and it was the same picture.

I played with all of the adjustments that I know about, ND filter, Gain adjustments, White balence, you name it. It resulted in a very ugly looking picture.

The mystery is, the picture looked fine in the viewfinder and I put a tape in and recorded some footage and the footage looked correct.

Now the day was very bright and we were dealing with shadows, but this is the first time I ever encountered this problem.

We are shooting a High School Play-off game on Sat. and I would appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

The only thing I could think of at this moment was perhaps a
busted composite/svhs output port (or the circuitry before it)?
Or if not, it must be something else in the chain (cables, switchers
etc.) since it looks good in the viewfinder and on tape.

I was thinking about an ND filter you had switched on by
accident, but that would've been visible in the viewfinder and
on tape as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry I really don't have an answer to your question but I do have a question of my own for you. What were you using to output from the XL1? I tried to go RCA out to a recording booth during one event but it always displayed the viewfinder information and couldn't get just a plain view.

I wasn't able to try S-vid so I'm not sure if that works. I know firewire will work in that method but for analog systems firewire doesn't get it done. Appreciate the help.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #4
New Boot

Hook-ups and on screen display

We output through a RCA Video, to an adaptor, to co-axial that then runs up to the booth.

The other camera's feeds are S-Vid. We run it all into a MX-50 that then runs to the Jumbotron controlroom.

We don't worry about audio.

I learned the hardway about the on screen display, you have to use the remote to get rid of it...but the camera will still have the display in your viewfinder but your program monitor will be true and the display should be gone.

Just press the "on screen" button and it should work.

The XL-1s fixed that problem and you can get rid of the on screen display on the camera, but you can not do it on the camera with the XL-1, just with the remote

Of course I learn that lesson with an hour and a half before kick-off with the remotes back at the office.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:10 PM   #5
Contributor

What happens when you hook the camera up over the S-Video out?
If that looks OK you could build a simple S-Video to RCA adapter until you send the camera to service.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog