XL-1 and low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 1st, 2004, 05:04 PM   #1
New Boot

XL-1 and low light

i am shooting a short film and there is a shot where the character is in shadow. the character is not moving (maybe walking very slowly). i have some ideas but if anybody has any suggestions it would be helpful.

:)
Jacky Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:06 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I'm not exactly sure what it is that you're asking, Jacky. Can you be more specific? What kind of help are you looking for?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

interesting topic...i think. what's the best way to get a person to fade in and out of the shadows - come from dark to light, leaving the background dark and gradually bringing the subject out. I tried AE adjustment dial on the other side of the camera (just discovered it!) but it was not enough. Using an Xternal light source works but that creates shadows of it's own.
Friday.
Jiggy Gaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Lock down the exposure. Make sure the shadows stay the same shade as the subject moves into the light. Set the exposure for the brightest scene, lock it and have the actor emerge into the light and emerge into correct exposure.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog