Resolution of the XL1 CCD's? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 21st, 2004, 06:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Resolution of the XL1 CCD's?

Does anybody know how many pixels are in the XL1 CCD's?

I know there are about 272,000 pixels but what does that come out to in terms of image size?

I figured a SD signal that is 60i would have to have at least 480 lines of resolution or the fields would be messed up. This then leaves us with roughly 566 pixels for a 566 x 480 image.

566 x 480 = 271680 pixels

Does this seem right or does anybody have any detailed information on how the CCD's are built?

566 x 1.25 would equal roughly 708 which would explain the black bars on the side of the image from the XL1.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 07:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

Per a Canon manual, the effectived imaging area of each CCD is 512x492 (250k pixels). Canon uses a horizontal pixel shift technique (commonly used in high end progessoinal gear as well) to obtain something around 750x492 pixel performance for "average" scenes, which nets to roughly 500 lines of horizontal resolutioin.

I believe the usable DV image size is about 704x480 pixels.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:42 AM   #3
Trustee

thank you very much for the info. I am trying an experiment to match 3D objects to XL1 footage by trying to render out with the same sort of path the XL1 uses to get its image.

If you render out great sharp CG at 720 x 480 and try to composite into an XL1 frame there will always be something a little odd unless you blur your CG a little bit. I am trying to see if I can get my renders to be close to the look of the XL1. This may be a waste of time but oh well I have time to kill since I am on vacation.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog