XL1s - a mistake? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Tarnation can only be seen in small theatres right now but they got a deal with Wellspring Media and it is going nationwide sometime before next October.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:11 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #18
Major Player

Well, I just bought an XL1-s for $2600US. Included case, MA-200 XLR mic adapter, Dual battery charger, and other misc. things. Under 12 hours use. (Doubt that.) Where $2600 US in UK pounds? Just saw an adv. on E-Bay for a PAL XL1-s for $800 US (do a search in E-BAY for "XL1-s". It should show up at the bottom of the list. Personally, I think it may well be a scam of some sort. At a 2-1 exchange, $800 US seems to be way below the average.

I was close to purchasing the XL2 but had big concerns regarding how High Definition would impact the US market...and how quickly it would take hold. Finding an XL1-s at a reasonable price, which I was hoping would be around $2000 US, seemed like a cost effective way to resolve my need for an additional camera at reduced risk while I took the "wait and see" attitude with HD. Also, there was a post on DVinfo somewhere recently from a Croatian (or was it Ukranian? We Americans have a tendency to be geography-challenged at times. Probably has a lot to do with our self-centered nature) videographer who was most upset with the apparent lack of color saturation with the XL2. Responders to that post thought that the difference had to do with default saturation of color within the camera. If so, the XL1-s I just bought should come close to that of my GL1. I certainly hope so.

Please pardon my wandering. In terms of light sensitivity, if you primarily find yourself shooting in low light conditions, the SONY products (VX 2100, PD 150/170) all beat the competition. Canon typicaly introduces now products after all other have placed their chips on the table, as it were. SONY always seem to be the first to show their hand. Like a physicianb's anti-bacterial prescription (a shotgun blast to kill anything in the path), SONY products tend to work everywhere to some degree, while the Canon product have a refinement that is appreciated with time and attention.

Oh my!. Time flies, and it is my turn to cook dinner. time to leave this post.
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #19
Inner Circle

So basically said, if it is really a XL1 you need , you can have it for a lot cheaper thean the price you mentionned.
If it is just a good camera you need for the mentionned price, you can get a better than an XL1.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Good luck, Waldemar, with the cam!

By the way, I like your name... Waldemar...
Okay, I'll leave now ;-)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog