Looking for XL2s footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 25th, 2002, 08:54 AM   #1
dvmonkey2

Looking for XL1s footage

Ive seen the cicada footage, it seemed to go out of focus when there was a zoom but that might be due to technical reasons with it being online and not actually on the footage itself, anyone else have any footage of things they have shot with a xl1s?

thanks
Old September 25th, 2002, 09:08 AM   #2
Trustee

Lets see...xl2s footage...is that the hard disk camera with the native 16:9 HD chips with 24p (and 30p, 36p,42p,150p) for under $4000. I don't have any footage from it, but here's something from the xl1s.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/iMovieTheater1.html
(if you download it, it will play a slightly larger size in quicktime)

I haven't seen the cicada footage but the xl1s has a known issue with its autofocus...which tends to hunt or drift. Switching to manual focus usually solves the problem.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 11:24 AM   #3
dvmonkey2

wow

Great footage, Im assuming you shot that w/o auto focus

I see a dolly, but what else did you use? A steadycam or was that over the shoulder scene shot handheld with the stabilizer?

What kind of lens did you use...surely something other than the one that it comes with.

fill me in!
Old September 27th, 2002, 01:44 PM   #4
dvmonkey2

also...

Did you use any filters?
Old September 27th, 2002, 02:56 PM   #5
Trustee

Everything was shot on a tripod, any movement is just zooming, panning or tilting. Stock IS-II lens. Manual focus. No filtration...I've done some color, sharpness and contrast work in FCP, but essentially, it was shot straight. Concert footage was white balanced on a yellow kodak film box to make it go blue.

We had hoped to use dolly and steadicam shots, but I quickly realized how much real estate (ie. background) you need to pull off even the smallest movement when the singer is as far forward as dominic was. Next one we're shooting outside.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog