XL1S & Sony minidisc 4 track recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 25th, 2002, 05:33 PM   #1
Tourist

XL1S & Sony minidisc 4 track recorder

Hi,

I have a question that I hope some one can help me out with:

I just got bought my XL1S a few months ago, a few years ago I bought a Sony MDM-X4. Which is a 4 track minidisc recorder. I am/was a musician and it worked out nicely for that kinda stuff. Now I am dabbling in video and was wondering how I might go about using the 4 track on set to capture the sound and how I could get that sound to the NLE software on my PC and make sure the audio and video sync up. anyone with experience on this one or something similar?

-Mike
michaelruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 11:36 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Mike and Welcome!

I don't have a specific answer for you (not being a MD user myself) but these past threads might be of some help, failing more immediate replies:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2474&highlight=minidisc

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2719&highlight=minidisc

You can use our Search feature (at the top of the page) to look fo other past threads on the subject, which comes up every few months.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 12:26 AM   #3
Trustee

It all depends on the output options of your MD and the input/capture options of your NLE hardware/software. Most NLE apps allow for capture of audio tracks. You might also consider something like ProTools of Cool Edit Pro which allows you capture audio and save it as whatever format AIFF, WAV, MP3 etc your NLE likes.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 06:31 AM   #4
Wrangler

Can you capture from the MiniDisc device via S/PDIF? Alternatively use an analog connection to your sound card. Then you could sync the tracks in post and mute the camera sound as appropriate.

Note that MiniDisc is 44.1kHz 16-bit, the XL1 sound is 48 KHz 16-bit or 32 KHz 12-bit, depending on which mode you select, so your NLE may have to accommodate these differences if you capture the MiniDisc audio via S/PDIF.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 05:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Where to buy S/PDIF?

Where can I buy a S/PDIF card for my PC and about how much does one cost?

Thanks
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 06:40 PM   #6
Wrangler

Many sound cards include S/PDIF capability. Some are coax (wire) connection, some are optical. Need to check what your MiniDisc machine does.

I like the MidiMan/M-Audio brand sound cards. They support coax S/PDIF and are much higher quality than the best of the SoundBlaster offerngs. (There are other brands of high quality sound cards too.) Midiman also offers a CO2 coax-to-optical converter at a reasonable price.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog