Audio Cleaning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 30th, 2002, 01:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Cleaning

I recently did a shoot and found that when I used the power pack (instead of the battery) I got an AC hum in the background on the audio. It was an interview shoot, so I really have to get rid of it.

Can anyone advise me if there is a company out there that processes audio files, or a really good software program that will do the job? I know there are inexpensive programs that will get rid of cracks, hisses and pops, but this is a low grade hum.

Thanks for any help,

Ron
Ron Stoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dear Ron

Final Cut Pro 3 has a hum remover for electrical buzz noise which will take care of your problem. You will however need a Mac computer to run the software which I might add is an awesome editing package, it compliments the XL1 exeptionally well!

Didi Schoeman
Didi Schoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #3
Warden

Ron,

If the shot is fairly short it wouldn't cost too much to have your audio fixed professionally. Certainly in Philly there would be dozens of studios that could do the work. Time to let your fingers do the walking (through the yellow pages). The service is sometimes referred to as audio sweetening. But if you describe your troubles a studio should be able to tell you if they do that kind of work. Good luck.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2002, 07:16 AM   #4
Wrangler

The better audio editing software provide filters that can be used to remove hum and other noise. Check the CoolEdit products from Syntrillium, or the Sound Forge products to name a couple.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2002, 08:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just because that happened to me, too: Can one avoid picking up that hum when the camera is plugged in? Or is the only way to run it from the batteries?

PS: I removed the hum with Soundforge.

Cheers, Peter
Old October 1st, 2002, 07:19 PM   #6
Wrangler

Picking up hum may relate to how wire are routed around the camcorder, and possibly a ground loop if other external devices were connected to the camcorder (e.g., mixer, monitor, etc.) Also, using unbalanced audio connections could give hum pickup. Running down sources of hum can be a bear, so using battery power may be the easiest solution.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog