What is the DV Control menu setting on the XL-1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What is the DV Control menu setting on the XL-1s?

I was looking throught the menu of an XL-1s and saw a menu item that said DV Control on/off. What is this setting for? I was thinking that it enables Lanc control devices.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Naw James, It enables control of another device's record/stop functions via firewire. So, if you were using a firestore or Canon's DV-PC recorder or DV-Rack, this menu item would need to be turned on.

My XL-2 has the same function and my answer is right out of the owner's manual.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

James and Greg,

I was unaware of this feature until your posting, so I tried it out today, linked with a small Sony Handicam DCR TVR-30. It works as advertised. There are a couple of excellent uses for this feature. When connected to an inexpensive Mini DV camera:

1. The Handicam acts as a backup when shooting something that is very critical, especially if a tape dropout will be very costly. It is twice the tape, but might be well worth it if there is no chance of shooting the segment again.

2. The Handicam provides a color monitor. If using one of the micro DV cams, you can attach it to the shoe on top of the XL1, or mount it to a tripod. Great for checking color balance or for shooting with your eye away from the XL1s viewfinder.

3. Use the Handicam as a deck and viewing station for use on location. If the client want to check the footage, they can look at the Handicam monitor or you can hook it up to an external monitor. No wear on the original tape, no extra head wear on the XL1s. The Handicam can also be mounted to the base of a Steadicam or Glidecam to provide a check on made shots, again with no risk to the original tape.

4. The Handicam is a second camera, and although the quality is not as good as the XL1s, it might be the thing that saves your rear if the XL1s shoots craps...at least you have something in your bag of tricks that can shoot video with sound. It might also be handy to grab that weird shot when the XL1s just doesn't fit. Be sure and carry audio adaptors so you can plug a quality mic into the Handicam if necessary.

5. You can buy a small Mini-DV camera for less than a portable deck with monitor. What's more, you cannot shoot video with a portable deck!

I think the DV Control is a great feature of the XL1s, and from now on I'll always bring my Handicam along on all assignments. This is an affordable method of redundancy and a useful tool.
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent tips there, Brad. Well done!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Does it also control the zoom function as well as the record/stop functions of a sony minidv cam?
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The firewire only controls the tape, feeding the video from the XL1s directly to the heads (then the tape) of the slave camera deck.

You will need to connect the audio output from the XL1s to the audio inputs of the slave camera if you wish to record the XL1s audio.

Note: I have read some postings about problems in making connections from cameras while powered up. So, it should be recommended to make sure any camera is powered down when making a connection of any kind. Better safe than sorry.
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Richmond
You will need to connect the audio output from the XL1s to the audio inputs of the slave camera if you wish to record the XL1s audio.
This part wouldn't work for me since I have an xlr adapter connected with audio feeds... But thanks for the tip, it does sound like a good idea.

Eric
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Richmond
The firewire only controls the tape, feeding the video from the XL1s directly to the heads (then the tape) of the slave camera deck.

Hmmm...I don't want to contradict you Brad, but audio should be present on the firewire connection to the slave camera as well. Otherwise, none of the direct to disk recording solutions would work. I have used Canon's DVPC recorder with no problem. Are you saying your handicam won't recognize the audio stream and record it along with the video? That would make it difficult for you to output to tape from your NLE.

regards,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Greg,

I stand corrected. I did a quickie test with the setup, and didn't hear audio on playback of the Handicam tape. However, you are right, it should record the audio stream with the video. I'll check more closely to see if there is something different happening than what should be...

Sorry to post incorrect info. Thanks for catching it!
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog