Win XP wont recognize my XL - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:09 PM   #16
Major Player

Owen if the DVin doesn't show up when connected and powered up there is a problem with communications to the firewire card.
If you check the device manager ,does the firewire card show up as a 1394 controller?What manufacturer is the IEEE1394 card or is it on the MB?
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:43 PM   #17
Major Player

Hello Jack, and thank you.

Yes it shows up. Everest software also shows it as OHCI compliant IEEE 1394. The funny thing is as soon as I connect a Sony handycam up windows detects it and I can capture, playback and control the Sony, no problem. This is what leads me to think the fault must be in the xl1s. Yet the xl1s will transfer data with other dv devices, but not the computer.

The firewire card is Texas Instruments and is a seperate card and not on the motherboard. I removed the card and put it in an older computer, loaded software under win 98se and had the same results. Works with the Sony, not the Canon.

Video editing software is MSP 7 and Premiere 6.5. MSP 7 gives you the option of either MS 1394 or TI (for Texas Instrument) 1394 device control, but neither work on the Canon. MS 1394 works on the Sony.

Premiere gives you the option of several brands and models. Works well with the Sony but not the Canon.

So, my conclusion is it's either the card or the Canon. Maybe I should buy a new card.

This problem began last May when I brought the xl1s. I sort of put it aside, but now am trying to get it sorted out before the guarantee expires on the Canon.

Cheers and thanks from downunder.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:08 PM   #18
Major Player

Owen in your previous post you said
...........Jack Smith wrote.

..........^Does DV in show up on the cameras viewfinder
..........when connected and powered on?^

..........In my case 'no', not when the computer is connected.
..........Only when connected to another dv device.

So I assumed you meant DV in DOES NOT show when connecting to the computer.
Are you saying it does show up in the camera viewfinder?
Also in MSP the ti or ms is device control.Under .. setup... switch capture plugin are you using Ulead Direct show plugin?
Old March 27th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Jack,

I've double checked.

DV IN does show up in the camera viewfinder when connected both to the computer and the Sony camera.

To recap.
In device manager card shows up as 'Texas Instruments OHCI 1394 compliant Host Controller.
Properties General. says 'enabled' 'working properly'
Under resources, it says 'No conflicts'

In MSP under 'Set up" "Switch capture plugin" I've tried them all.
Ulead direct show plug in,
MS1394
TI 1394.

I've tried having the camera plugged in firewire, switched on and turned onto VCR from a computer boot as well.

Still No Go!!!

Thanks in advance.
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #20
Major Player

Ok . Try going to Device Manager then on view change to "resources by type" then cose "Interupt request"
see what IRQ then IEEE 1394 is on and what else is on the same IRQ
Old March 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Right Jack. I'm a bit of a newbie into computers. Hope I found what you wanted to know.

After following your instructions on the IRQ I came up with a list of about 23 items of which seem to be hardware, mouse, floppy drive, keyboard etc.

The IEEE 1394 Host Controller was on (PCI) 21.
No other item shares this number.

Thank you.
Old March 27th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #22
Major Player

Owen I'm not a computer expert either but I have been able to get the XL1Ses installed to every computer.
I,m not sure it's necessary to check the IRQ but I thought just in case.Now as far as I'm aware there are only 16 IRQ's so I'm not sure where your seeing the 21.So if you would could you check that again.
Secondly, try this , ..... computer off. plug in the IEEE1394 cable to both the computer and XL1. ..... camera also off......boot the computer and when fully loaded turn the XL1 to VCR.Then go to Device Manager..... Imaging Devices.
Is there anything in there?
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Jack and thanks. I followed this first with the Sony which works to see what I could see.
With the Sony connected in Device Manager, View devices by connection I could see the Texas Instrument expanded to 1394 Net Adapter and onto Sony DV Camcorder.

When I connected the Canon I could see the Texas Instrument expanded to 1394 Net Adapter. Nothing else. The Canon was not visable.

DVin stays visable in the Canon viewfinder untill the computer shuts down.

Do drivers come with the Canon. I brought mine new and there were none that came with the camera.
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I got the same problem as owen. Still cant see any device connected to my PC. Connects beautifully on my Mac.
Gregory Doi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #25
Major Player

Ok Don't change the view .Leave it set to " Devices by type".
Do you have "Imaging Devices" show up , not under the IEEE194 but seperately?
I'm trying to determine if your firewire card see's the Canon as a device of some kind.I know this is a pain but I'm sure we'll find the little dickens.
No drivers ship with the camera as Windows has them already.
If we can't find where the camera is going we'll do a reinstall.But first could you check the "Imaging Devices"
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #26
Major Player

In Device Manager. I left view to Devices by Type but 'Imaging Devices is not there.
I expanded each listing and the only items pertaining to video as I seem to see it were under Network Adapters, 1394 Net adapter.
& Sound Video and Game Controllers- Legacy Video Capture Device.

Thanks heaps for all you're doing to help. I really appreciate it.
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #27
Major Player

Jack. I've just found in Everest that the Texas Instrument is shared on IRQ 21. Can't find with what though. How do I find out?
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #28
Major Player

Ok I have seen this before where the IEEE1394 does'nt always load things in as an "Imaging Device" which it needs to be.What is the manucturer of the firewire card?Most all are Texas Instruments compliant but who is the maker of the card?
Oh and are you running SP2?
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi Jack. Sorry I'm not much help today. Took firewire card out to look for brand. Only thing that resembles any sort of branding logo is a LR or UR capitals italics joined together. Made in Taiwan.
Am I running SP2??. Or do you mean XP? Thanks.
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #30
Major Player

Hey Jack. It's past my bedtime here. SP2. Service pack 2, Right. Got it. but not installed as I thought it was a security fix and that computers not on the net.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog