Mic Setup Help With On-Board & Wireless Together at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 24th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Mic Setup Help With On-Board & Wireless Together

Thanks much in advance for any help on this!!!

Having read the XL-1S manual, and countless threads here, I'm still at a loss as to how to mix audio in-camera using both the on-board stereo mic, and 2 wireless mics together.

I have an MA-200 for input, but I just don't see a way (with the camera's setup or audio switches) to have audio coming in to CH-1 and CH-2 from the on-board mic, and mixing the L and R channels with that with the audio coming in through the MA-200 from wireless mics.

Is this possible? I thought it was.
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have the MA-100 and will describe how I do what you want to do. You will have to "translate" it to the MA-200.

The built-in Mic is Audio 1. You can't change that. The red/white RCA cables that go into the back of the handle from the MA-100 are also Audio 1. You switch between them using the input select switch behind the white door. When set to Mic, your built-in mic is selected. When set to Audio-1, the MA-100 input is selected. In order to get all 4 channels simultaneously (Mic Left, Mic Right, XLR 1, XLR 2), you have to go into the menu and set the audio mode to 12 bit ST-1, 2 as shown in the manual on page 53.

Now here's the critical part: Move the red/white RCA audio cables from the jacks in the back of the handle to the ones on the side above the battery. Those are the Audio 2 inputs as shown in the manual on page 10. That's it.

You can select which ones you monitor using the audio monitor selection. Read the manual to understand your choices.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

See also XL1 Audio Step by Step, Part Four. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks a ton to both of you for the help!!

As the Canon manuals were obviously not written for users, or to be easily understood by greenhorns, I kind of poofed it off. Guess I'd better spend more time trying to decipher it, and less time in trial-and-error.

Thank goodness for DVINFO!!! (Huge bow in Chris's direction)
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, parts of the manual can be cryptic. The monitoring 3 way toggle will give you sensory feedback through headphones when you are setting this up for the first time. Watch your vu's and toggle through Audio1, Audio2, MIX.

This technique clears up any confusion with great haste.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog