Why isn't AE Shift working? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 9th, 2002, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why isn't AE Shift working?

I have the camera set on Av Mode, Gain on 0. I am trying to adjust the AE Shift to get a lighter pic but there is no gain or loss in the brightness of the image as I adjust the AE accordingly. I do see the onscreen indicators change illustrating the AE change but the outcome isn't cooperating. Why does it seem to not wanna participate?
Chris Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 04:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Do you realy mean "AE shift" or "Gain shift". Gain shift will not change (at first view) your image. AE shift normally will, of course in automatic mode only.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 04:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I do mean AE shift....it seems to work sometimes like now but sometimes it doesn't work...like earlier today. This is wierd...is it dependent on certain circumstances? I couldn't get it to lighten or darken the image one bit about 2 hours ago...but now I can. This happens often, however, for some reason I think it is associated with what I am shooting instead of a defect but I do not know....any ideas as to what may be wrong or does it respond differently in different situations?
Old October 9th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ohh...the Auto Exposure seems to respond when I have the Gain set to auto...earlier I had the gain set to 0 and tried to adjust the AE.........
Old October 10th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #5
Wrangler

Only in Auto, Tv, Av modes.

I cannot see what you could be doing wrong. The only other thing you might want to try is setting the exposure lock. When you are using manual gain modes, the cam's exposure lock is suppose to be enabled (which means the exposure lock is on, not off).

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 03:29 PM   #6
Warden

You might me at the limits of the exposure system. If your in a low light situation and the lens is already wide open (F1.6) the exposure can not create any more light, or open the lens any wider. If you up the gain (increase the CCD's sensitivity) the exposure will change and the exposure compensation will work (open up the aperture).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 06:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So does the AE Shift work by opening the aperture more? It does seem that it doesn't work in lowlight. So if it works by opening the aperture, does this means there should be no noise added by increasing the AE Shif?
Old October 10th, 2002, 07:28 PM   #8
Warden

The details for the operation of AE Shift are on page 46 of the manual. It only works in Auto (not green box), Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. In AP it adjust the shutter and vice versa in SP. I'm not sure in Auto, but I suspect it adjusts the aperture.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog