Image Stabililzer on or off for image quality? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 15th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Image Stabililzer on or off for image quality?

Does anyone know if the image stabilizer affects the image quality in any way?
Bo Shaheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #2

I beleive the image stabilizer will cause the auto-focus function to "breathe". In other words, focus will oscillate back and forth trying to hold focus as the stabilizer prism operates. It's best not to use both simultaneously. Also, never use image stabilization when you're mounted on a tripod and simply doing pans. The stabilizer interprets a slow pan as something to try to stabilize and you'll get a series of jerky pans.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Is that second part definitely correct? I thought that Canon's optical stabilizers essentially worked like dampers: You get a slight lag at the start of a smooth pan, but after that, the stabilizer should remove any jerkiness, rather than introduce it.
Steve Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #4
Trustee

I have seen first hand how IS with the cam mounted to a tripod is NOT good. We did a shot a week ago and I forgot to turn the IS off. After reviewing some of the footage, some of the pans did indeed have a little jerk to them. I had to use SteadyMove to try to remove that.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #5
Major Player

I have noticed that if the IS is on and tripod mounted during a pan it is quite smooth however when you stop the IS doesnt and if the subject is moving it gets jerky.But I think a part of that problem is due to operator not realizing that the IS is reframing beyond what was intended and the OP moves the camera back.Thus begins a bad cycle.Normally would not use IS while mounted but I have done some testing.Also can occur handheld if your support is very stable.(sitting in a chair)
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

The IS tries to fight any camera movement. The problem arises when that movement is intentional. Therefore, turn off IS when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog