Will it work? Beachtek adapter not for XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 14th, 2002, 03:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Will it work?

I've got a friend who has a spare BeackTek box he said he will give me for free, the only problem being that it wouldn't be the DXA4C (made for XL1/s).

I hope and assume it will not make any more differance than the fitting being wrong, or are there other issues with the different models that would affect the sound itself?

I think he said he'd used it with a PD150...

Regards
Jon
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:31 AM   #2
Major Player

I asked BeachTek this same question when I upgraded from a Sony Digital8 camera to the XL1S. They told me the only difference was the location of the tripod mount screw and the output lead connectors. The Sony version (I have the DXA-4S) has a mini plug while the Canon version has RCA connectors. The Sony version will work by plugging into the onboard mic connector on the Canon or you could get a mini plug->RCA adaptor and use the Audio1/2 ports.

The BeachTek should work just fine and also give you the option of receiving line level signals on the XLR connectors, which the MA100/200 is not designed to handle.
Old October 15th, 2002, 12:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi:
Re: The adaptor question (Beachtek vs MA-200) - Ed, if the MA-200 doesn't accept line level signals, what must I do to connect a Shure portable field mixer like the Shure 32 or 36 to the MA-200?
Do I have to change the settings on the camera?
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Ed - just what I thought, but it feels a lot better actually better knowing before I use up the last credits I have with my friends...;)
Old October 15th, 2002, 06:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Ideosync, there are a couple of solutions:

1. Use a Mic Attenuator to reduce the line level signal. These are available from any pro audio supply house, maybe even Radio Shack. Shure also sells one. Try searching MA200 on this site for more information on limitations of the MA100/200.

Or

2. Bypass the MA200 and go directly into the RCA jacks on the XL1. Then in the menu, set audio level to LINE.

Also check your mixer to see if the output level can be switched to Mic. I use the Mackie 1402 and the XLR Main Outs are switchable. I don't know about the Shure models you mentioned.
Old October 15th, 2002, 10:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ed, thanks: I don't like the direct-to-RCA route myself...I've learnt to trust XLR inputs the hard way, and I'd prefer to use an XLR input anyday.
I'll check to see whether the Shure line out can be set to Mic level....I figure it should be possible. Thanks for the tip!
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 11:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Ideosync, If your mixer does not supply mic levels out, you might want to look for a Shure A15la line adapter, available from B&H for $34.95. This model provides 50db attenuation while the model # A15as attenuator is selectable (15db, 20db & 25db). The A15la is described as follows:

Provides 50 dB attenuation, allowing a balanced line-level source to be connected to a balanced microphone input.

Key Features

• Slender, in-line XLR (F) to XLR (M) configuration
• Requires use of balanced signals
Old October 15th, 2002, 09:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks again, Ed:
I'm talking to my sound person today - he's the guy with the Shure mixer! - with the accessories you've mentioned, and to find out whether the mixer out is switchable.
Most of our docu work here still happens on Beta SP with Sony D35/DSR 500/DSR 300/DSR 370s. Many of us docu people are just shifting to our own equipment and DV. The question of an XLR input that might NOT take mixer (line) inputs - fortunately or unfortunately - never plagued us before!
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog