cleaning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 14th, 2002, 06:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

cleaning

Hi All,

I discovered a big smudge on my lens today and am going to out and buy something to clean it with. Can I just go to any camera store and get some kind of lens cleaning kit like a still photographer would use, or is there something special just for video cameras or more specifically the XL1? Also can someone give me a quick explination of what a UV filter is and is it's only job to protect the lens. Also can I get one of these at ant old camera shop, and is there anything I should look for when buying one? Generally how much should one cost?

Thanks!

-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 08:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Any standard lens cleaning kit will do the job. Also get yourself a Lenspen. These are invaluable for cleanign dust and smudges from the glass during a shoot.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 11:18 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

A UV filter is principally designed to reduce the ultraviolet band of light passing through the lens. In this regard, it's principal benefit is to film shooting since uv can put a bluish cast onto film images. For purposes of video the UV filter is principally used to protect the lens' front element. UV does not pose the problem to video shooters that it does to film. Prices will vary from $15 to $60+. Brands are the same as for most other filters: Tiffen, B+W, Heliopan, et.al. The most expensive generally are thinner and feature top-notch coatings, often on both sides.

Shop around and do some reasearch at online outlets such as B&H Photo (bhphoto.com). That's the best way to learn.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 09:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I too have discovered dust but inside the lens, I'm not too sure how to clean it other than to take the lens to Canon for a good clean.

Any other ideas more than welcome.

Thanks,
Shlooky
Elie Zakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 09:55 AM   #5
Warden

Do Not disassemble your lens. There is no user serviceable part inside. If the dust is showing on your images, send the unit to Canon for service. Most local service providers do not have the equipment to realign the lens once the assembly is removed for cleaning.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 10:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff for the quick responce, I do see only one white speckle on my footage, so I will take the camera back to Canon here in Toronto for service.

Thanks again.

Shlooky
Elie Zakaria is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog