You mean Zebra doesn't work on an external monitor??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 14th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #16
Major Player

Ron - how do you like that Marshall monitor? Would you recommend it?
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #17
Major Player

@Michael: So-so. The spec'ed 200 or so nits of this display can indeed be reached (at least I guess so), but there is no way to achieve a usable image at the maximum brightness. Once you adjust it to a reasonably neutral image, the display is quite dim. Further, the saturation of colors is quite low.

It's definitely usable indoors, but outdoors it already becomes problematically dim in the shade. Direct sunlight is impossible. I've been playing with the thought of putting together a truly daylight readable display with good color rendition, and have made some progress finding sources of parts. If they only weren't so damn expensive...

Back to the Marshall display: Overall, I'm a bit dissapointed, and think that it is not worth the high cost (I think I paid around kUSD 1.0 at B&H - but that was almost 2 years ago). To dabble in this arena, I think it's worth starting out with something cheaper, smaller (and hotshoe-mountable, which the V-LCD 12 is surely not).

HTH,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #18
Major Player

Ron - thanks for responding. I am purchasing a Magiqcam and the
company owner John recommends the Marshall 4" or 5.6" with the steal case. Obviously wanted to get some reviews on the product line. It also concerns me from the standpoint that on those stabilizers the monitor is placed at the bottom of the unit which to me appears to be almost three feet from my eyes. I do believe enclosures are used to block out some light. Sorry to hear you're disappointed, I guess I'll look around. Thanks.
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:48 PM   #19
Contributor

Hi Ronald,

Did you manage to do it. And if yes, how?

Sorry, I just looked back, and you said you wouldn't have time until Dec. to respond. So I'll be patient.

Cheers,

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #20

DVRack from Serious Magic will give you a monitor with both Hi and Lo zebras...it's very nice...and used the firewire output bus on the camera
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #21
Major Player

I have a cheap shoemounted LCD (Starview I think it is) that displays the EVF info randomly (it seems)...if it's not random I'd sure like to know what it is that I'm doing "right" to make it display.

Michael best said: "I do believe enclosures are used to block out some light. Sorry to hear you're disappointed, I guess I'll look around. Thanks."

I've heard folks here say that the Nebtek 50 XL has a bright enough display to use in direct sunlight with a hood. You may want to do a search for it here.

Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #22
Major Player

...on the back burner.

@ Daniel: Sorry, I have no news for you. I haven't experimented any further, and I'm using the external LCD to judge focus and the EVF for exposure/zebra. Not the best in usability, but workable.

December -- that was December 2002 ;-)

FWIW,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog