Aspect Ratio?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 26th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

More questions on Aspect ratio

If I may jump in asking for more clarity on the issue of shooting in 4:3 for a 16:9 aspect ratio by blocking off some of the viewfinder. Does this way actually result in a viable 16:9 framing? I mean, is the purpose because when you pan and scan you will not loose important information framed for 16:9? It's not just for the look of letterboxing is it? I would like to shoot 16:9 in the event that what I shoot will be inspired enough to be viewed by a theatrical audience and not just for TV or direct to video. Forgive my lack of expertise. I am glad to belong to this community that grows my knowledge and understanding. Thanks for allowing the question.

Aletha
Aletha Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Aletha,

What you'd want to do is to set the XL2 for 16:9 recording using the aspect ratio switch on the left side of the camera body. There's really no reason to mask off the viewfinder or any of that other stuff -- the aspect ratio switch on the camera body is indeed the best way to go. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris:

I'm sorry I failed to mention that I am working with an XL1 and not XL2. And thanks for a speedy reply.

Aletha
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Oh, well you're in the wrong forum then.

I'll split these posts off and place them in our XL1 / XL1S forum.

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

For 16:9 in the XL1 you could add an anamorphic adapter to the lens, but it's fairly expensive to do so, upwards of $800. Some folks will mask off the viewfinder and "shoot and protect," meaning they're shooting in 4:3 but composing for 16:9 and adding a letterbox matte in postproduction.

Old May 30th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks

Hi Chris:

I failed to say thank-you for this reply. Thanks I wanted, to compose 16:9 and maintain the highest resolution possible. How would you exactly mask the viewfinder to direct the correct view to compose 16:9. Top, bottom or otherwise. I see your name alot, so I know you have a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again.

Aletha
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Aletha,

Actually the wealth of knowledge here comes from our other helpful DV Info Net members such as Don Palomaki, Dean Sensui and A.J. deLange. Personally I've never masked an XL1 viewfinder, but I'm sure our other members who have will step up and offer some tips on how best to do that.

Old June 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Do you have an XL1 or an Xl1s? in the xl1 you can change in the menu on the side of the cam the ratio to 16:9, but your view in the viewfinder doesn't give you the right view. It lookes stretched out. In the XL1s you can do this too, go to menu and i believe in cam setting change the ratio to 16:9 or you can leave it on 4:3 and add in the menu (i can't recall the name of the sub menu) the 16:9 lines, which means you can shoot in 4:3 but frame in 16:9. This also doesn't change the view to a stretched view, if you know what I mean.

I hope this helps and succes
Djee Smit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Djee is right, and the good thing about this is that it is much more easy to frame your picture in a normal 4/3 image with 16/9 guides, then to frame your picture in a viewfinder with a stretched image.

Good luck.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 02:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Djee and Mathieu:

Thanks for the info. I have the first model for the XL1 so I don't get a submenu giving me quides, only the option to shoot 16:9 with a stretched view in the viewfinder. Keep the advice coming, I suck it up like a sponge.

Thanks

Aletha
Aletha Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog