XL1 Issue...Strange!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1 Issue...Strange!!!

I'm having an issue with my XL1 which has me baffled. When I am recording from a tripod, or any other stable platform, and there is no motion in the frame, my picture looks great. But, once motion occurs, let's say someone walks into the picture, I am getting mosaic noise on just the part of the frame in which the motion is ocurring. The noise stays with the motion and all stationary objects remain clean. Does anyone know what thats all about? I have searched the web inside out.
Grady Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Assuming you are 0 gain, no shutter effect, standard mode not frame mode, and your heads are recently cleaned and the tape is brand new, then likely the heads or the drum are in need of servicing. You've had the camera for 6? years ... has it ever made the trip in for servicing?

This sounds like a drum problem.

You might want to try a different lens just to rule out the possibility of a lens problem...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Wrangler

Unless he is seeing this in the v/f live while in pause mode. In which case, the camera has a serious malfunction and needs to be sent in for repair. The viewfinder doesn't show what's recorded to tape when recording.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #4
New Boot

That is correct, I do not see the noise in the viewfinder, only in playback. 0 gain, no shutter effect, standard mode not frame mode, and my heads are recently cleaned and the tape is brand new. I purchased this camera second hand and I have owned it for about 1 year. I have not sent it in for servicing before. How much does something like that cost?
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Wrangler

Sounds to me like you might have a DSP chip gone bad. Since you don't see this problem in the v/f except during playback, it's tough to figure out just where the bad data is entering the record stream (electronics, or tape transport). Have you by chance tried playing back some of that footage on another mini DV device? That would help narrow it down for the Canon folks if the recorded tape plays fine on another deck or camcorder.

Tough break. I don't have any idea what kind of cost to repair you're looking at.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:27 AM   #6
Wrangler

If it is only on playback, and only visible on parts of the image that are changing from frame-to-fram (e.g., moving) it sounds like an uncorrected tape read error. Internal correction is covering the static parts of the image with data from a previous frame.

Is it consistent in terms of which frame and location in the frame is bad from one playback oto the next?

Any differnece between analog and digital output from the XL1?

Can you reproduce the problem on a fresh new tape before and after a head cleaning?

Do known good previously recorded tapes play OK?

Did you try play the problem tape in another system known to be good?
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:55 PM   #7
New Boot

Is it consistent in terms of which frame and location in the frame is bad from one playback oto the next?

NO, THE NOISE OCCURS IN SEVERAL DIFFERENT PLACES IN THE FRAME. NO CONSISTANCY.

Any differnece between analog and digital output from the XL1?

NO, ANOLOG AND DIGITAL OUTPUTS PRODUCE SAME NOISE.

Can you reproduce the problem on a fresh new tape before and after a head cleaning?

YES, FRESH TAPE AND FRESH HEAD CLEANING

Do known good previously recorded tapes play OK?

YES, THE PREVIOUSLY RECORDED TAPES LOOK FINE

Did you try play the problem tape in another system known to be good?

YES, THE BAD TAPES DISPLAY THE NOISE ON MY OTHER CAMERA

This is really upsetting.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:06 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Canon service, right away.

Contact info located at http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service

Be sure to include a tape which clearly shows the problem.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 12:10 AM   #9
Built the VanceCam

This is out of my area of expertise, but hey, I never let a little thing like that stop me! But I was just reading up on compression techniques and this sounds like a problem in the DV compression stream. Those are classic motion compression artifacts. Not that that helps--it's still gotta go back to the factory, but just for future reference/identification, it's probably a bad chip in the codec circuitry or firmware.
Dan Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:04 AM   #10
Wrangler

Thought that with DV, there was no interframe compression, each fame stands alone in the compression scheme. Would motion artifacts as describes appear in this case?

In any case, contacting Canon sounds like the best bet.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:52 PM   #11
Built the VanceCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
Thought that with DV, there was no interframe compression, each fame stands alone in the compression scheme.
That's what I thought too, but as it turns out, the DV compression scheme does look for motion between *fields*. If there's little motion the entire frame is compressed, but if motion is detected the fields are compressed individually.
So from what Grady is describing, it sounds like the codec is not detecting the motion and is compressing everything as if it were a still image.
Sounds like a cool effect though. Wonder how we could do that on purpose...
Dan Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #12
New Boot

Something new....While inspecting me XL1, I noticed a clicking sound coming from the deck when playing a tape. I removed the door and saw the little silver bar with a spring attached (i guess its some sort of mechanism that takes up tape slack or something) and it was bouncing back and forth. The spool for the tape seemed to be jerky when playing, therefore bouncing the "tension bar". The clicking and the playback noise seem to be in sync. *Please forgive my ignorance of technical terms*. Thanks for all your help!
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:16 PM   #13
Trustee

You may have a head or tape track issue. This happened to one of my XL1 cams. Images recorded in 30P looked fine but 60i at a 1/60th shutter left the mosaic artifacts you explain. I cant remember what they fixed, it has been YEARS but it was $400....

ash =o0
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog