Help! In the field with broken firewire port! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 30th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help! In the field with broken firewire port!

Hi, I am pretty sure my XL1s firewire port is broken, as it's really loose in the socket and the mac no longer sees it. The indicator in VCR mode shows DV IN, but when I go to record mode the DV IF indicator flashes. Not sure if this is normal...I can see when I plug in the cable in VCR mode, the DV IN lights up, but I can't get a connection. Tried cables... but like I said the DV in socket is really loose in the casing of the cam. Other indicator: plugging into a firewire drive connected to the macbookpro shows that the drive won't work until the pwr is turned off on the cam. another indicator that something is really wrong with the connection in the camera.

So, what are my options do u think. I am in nepal on location and need to get the firewire port working for direct to laptop recording. If there is a repair manual somewhere with a tear down, there are people here good with a solder gun, but no one knows how to tear the camera apart.

I am so bummed! Well, thx in advance for any help (or condolences).
Jigs
Herojig Gaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jigs...............

You don't say where in Nepal you are, but your closest repair facility is here:

Sales And Service Contacts - Canon in South & Southeast Asia

If you can get the camera to Kathmandu, you may just be in luck.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog