Houston camera repair shop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 25th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Houston camera repair shop

Hi guys.

My Canon XL1 is acting up. Is there any camera repair place in Houston somebody can recommend? The camera is way out of warranty so I don't want to send it back to Canon. I also don't want to take it to a place I find out of the yellowpages.

The problem is that sometimes none of the audio inputs work. It plays back with audio, but it won't accept any in. The only solution is to turn it on and off over and over until it suddenly "snaps" back into operation.
Fresnel Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresnel Phan
Hi guys.

My Canon XL1 is acting up. Is there any camera repair place in Houston somebody can recommend? The camera is way out of warranty so I don't want to send it back to Canon. I also don't want to take it to a place I find out of the yellowpages.

The problem is that sometimes none of the audio inputs work. It plays back with audio, but it won't accept any in. The only solution is to turn it on and off over and over until it suddenly "snaps" back into operation.

Is there a RESET button on the XL1? Sounds like the logic is a little out of whack. If it is outputting but not inputting, you could try a reset. It might go back to defaults if you take off the AC power, battery and watch battery. Try that before spending any money on repairs.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't think theres any 'authorized' repair facilities in Houston. You might see if Industrial Audio and Video will take a look at it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Fresnel

Give Houston Camera Repair a call. They have been servicing my equipment for about ten years, both still and video cams. I have no qualms recommending them.
Robert Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Robert, is this place on Fondren? The website is here:

http://www.houstoncamera.com/index.html

Thanks everybody for the quick responses.

Stephen, this is actually how I do "fix" it. Sometimes it works after one try. Other times, it takes a lot. Once it works, as long as you keep it powered on it stays fine. Every time you turn it off, you're taking a risk. Crazy problem.
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Fresnel

Yes, they have two places, one on
Fondren between Richmond and Westheimer and the other is in the Clear Lake Area.

This place does not have a fixed price like Sony does. If your repair is a $25.00 repair, then it costs 25.00. I have had several repairs and regular annual maintenance, always less than 100.00 with only one exception.

Give 'em a call. They've been good guys to do business with.
Robert Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresnel Phan
Hi guys.

Fresnel,
I may be just saying something you've already done, but have you changed the little lithium ion battery on the camera? This is not the same as the main battery, its a little button style battery that retains some variables in memory even when the camera is off. When these fail they can cause odd symptoms.

If you already "been there, done that", sorry. Cool name BTW, especially for someone on this forum.
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Patrick, thanks for the advice. I haven't changed the little battery in at least two years. I assumed that if it was dead, I wouldn't have my date and time anymore. I'll try changing it tomorrow.

Yeah tell me about my name. Almost like I was fated to go into this business. All through public school (and through life) people always think my name is "Fresno."

But people in photography and theatre know better. :)
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

There are only two authorized Canon factory service centers in the U.S. that can fix an XL1, and neither are in Houston. See their contact info here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #10
Major Player

Authorized Sony Repair Shop

Is there an authorized Sony repair shop in the Houston area?
Bill Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I called Sony broadcast a while back and they told me the closest authorized repair place was in Austin. I don't remember the name of it. You can call them at 1-866-766-9272.

If your camera is out of warranty, even Sony will suggest that you take it to some local place with a good reputation.
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Well guys, the camera is back. $225 to repair it. (I didn't send it to Canon, just to a local shop that Robert Ballew recommended).

Sound logic board was messed up. They had to replace it. They also cleaned up the heads and gave it a lube job.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Glad it worked out.

Robert
Robert Ballew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog