Syncing two recording devices/DSR-V10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 8th, 2002, 06:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Syncing two recording devices/DSR-V10

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone uses a camcorder and a portable deck (like Sony DSR-V10)together while recording to get a back up of the tape while shooting? If so, can the two units be synced via lanc or firewire so that the camcorder's controls will also start and stop the deck?

Also, anyone with any experience with the DSR-V10? I'm considering buying one and would appreciate any comments pro and con. I'd like to use it both in the field under some tough conditions (hooked to a bullet cam for ski videos) as well as a deck for digitizing to my computer. I found a used one for about $1400 with 30 hours of wear. Is it a good deal?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 01:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sounds like a good deal to me. It's what, about $2k, new?

I've been using the digital 8 variation for one year and a second one for about 6 months. Each cost me about $800 w/ a battery. I use them via firewire instead of the tape section in the cam. Perhaps this is why I don't have the noises some people be.otch about??

One cam (xl1S) has the ability to start/stop the unit using the cam's controls. I use varizoom controllers (lanc) and they work fine to operate it, too. It's going to depend on which cam is being used. I have to use the buttons when using a pd100a, so I'd check the manual. (DV Control -- sends REC and REC PAUSE signals through the DV cable to an external IEEE1394 device. This can be another DV camcorder (such as an inexpensive Canon ZR10), a DV deck, or an external field-portable FireWire hardrive. Pausing and recording on the XL1S is duplicated on the other DV device, producing an exact copy on the spot, with identical timecode. Keeping one copy pristine, and using the other for logging purposes, is one application for this feature.)

IMO, the D8 is as just as stable as dvcam, but a lot cheaper. And I'm using straight 8mm maxells, not even hi8 tapes.

Does the v-10 give you an option to record in dv? Otherwise it's going to be 40 min. dvcam on a 60 dv tape. Could get confusing if the cam's got time to spare, but the portable unit is out of time.

Although for long runs, you could manually stop the one deck, change tapes, restart and then later change the tape in the camera. Just keep firing a flash unit (when each is running) so you can later synch them up for a long session.
Old November 10th, 2002, 05:23 AM   #3
New Boot

Awesome reply, thanks! Just what I wanted to know.

In reply to your question, no, the V-10 does not record in DV (does playback DV), only DVCam, so tape length is an issue although I believe there is a Panasonic tape that many pros are using that will record 60 minutes DVCam. (???)

Will my XL1 start/stop the unit as the XL1s does?

I know the Sony PD-150 will record in DVCam mode. I assume XL1S does not.

Anybody from Canon monitoring this list? Any plans for a DVCam model.... XL2??

Again, many thanks for the detailed, clear answer.

Ken

<<<-- Originally posted by 1 JoPhoto : Sounds like a good deal to me. It's what, about $2k, new?

I've been using the digital 8 variation for one year and a second one for about 6 months. Each cost me about $800 w/ a battery. I use them via firewire instead of the tape section in the cam. Perhaps this is why I don't have the noises some people be.otch about??

One cam (xl1S) has the ability to start/stop the unit using the cam's controls. I use varizoom controllers (lanc) and they work fine to operate it, too. It's going to depend on which cam is being used. I have to use the buttons when using a pd100a, so I'd check the manual. (DV Control -- sends REC and REC PAUSE signals through the DV cable to an external IEEE1394 device. This can be another DV camcorder (such as an inexpensive Canon ZR10), a DV deck, or an external field-portable FireWire hardrive. Pausing and recording on the XL1S is duplicated on the other DV device, producing an exact copy on the spot, with identical timecode. Keeping one copy pristine, and using the other for logging purposes, is one application for this feature.)

IMO, the D8 is as just as stable as dvcam, but a lot cheaper. And I'm using straight 8mm maxells, not even hi8 tapes.

Does the v-10 give you an option to record in dv? Otherwise it's going to be 40 min. dvcam on a 60 dv tape. Could get confusing if the cam's got time to spare, but the portable unit is out of time.

Although for long runs, you could manually stop the one deck, change tapes, restart and then later change the tape in the camera. Just keep firing a flash unit (when each is running) so you can later synch them up for a long session. -->>>
Ken Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 11:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Not sure and doubting the straight xl1 will do the start/stop. I copied part of the paragraph on the 1S off another page (here) about the features on the improved features of the 1S.

BTW, There's even a walkman that doesn't have the LCD for less $$, if all you want is a portable deck, but I'd get the LCD. I tried to match the brightness of the LCD to approximate the brightness of my TV and let me tell you,... it's been really helpful! Now you need to keep within a certain angle of view, but it works great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog