Using XL body only for digital audio recording or playback? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 28th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using XL body only for digital audio recording or playback?

If you were to remove the lens and EVF (if camera mic was not needed), would the body still record audio (XL-1) through the mic or XLR inputs? Would it be the same for audio and/or video for the XL-1s & XL-2 since they can input both? I understand that there is an error message showing that the lens is missing but does that prevent recording something whethere it's just black, bars or just audio. I know you're not suppose to attach or remove a lens while the camera is powered up, but can this recording operation be damaging to the camera without the lens being attached before powering up?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've been using my GL2 lately for audio-only recording -- just don't bother pointing it at anything meaningful ('am planning to upgrade to a CD recorder soon, but it was a good test system).

I can't say if any damage will occur without a lens -- does this leave the CCD's exposed in any way?
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would definitely put the factory cover over the CCD window.

Another question, do XL lenses have a seperate internal hour meter/recorder for usage?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Wrangler

Doubt if XL lenses have an hour usage meter and no one has yet reported finding an accessable hour meter on the XL1 body.

If recording audio only, leave the lens cap ON if a lens is installed. Body cap if no lens is present.

Removing the lens (and thus having the lens warning displayed) will not prevent the XL1 from recording sound and what ever blur of light reaches the CCD

A miniDV recorder may be more convenient for local sound recording than an XL1 body, although you do not get 48kHz sample rate or firewire capture of the audio.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog