Head Cleaning Cassette Tape - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 24th, 2003, 03:57 PM   #16
Warden

Also, use the search function in the upper right. Cleaning tapes and methods have been discussed before. There is some good info in the prior posts.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 09:23 AM   #17
Wrangler

You will also want to stick to one brand of tape as this lessens tracking problems. I also run a pass of head cleaner if I must use a different brand of tape.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #18
New Boot

XL1-S head cleaning

I am getting ready to clean the heads on my XL1-S for the first time (at least since I have owned it). Can anyone reccomend a good head cleaning kit? Are there any tips or things I need to be aware of to get the best results?

Thanks
Ryan Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas
I am getting ready to clean the heads on my XL1-S for the first time (at least since I have owned it). Can anyone reccomend a good head cleaning kit? Are there any tips or things I need to be aware of to get the best results?

Thanks
Buy one of the dry head cleaning tapes at most any store that sells DV tapes. Follow the directions in the manual, which I think says to run the tape for 6 seconds, and repeat if necessary. It is not recommended to use any wet cleaning methods. Do not over use the cleaning tape, as it will wear on the heads.

Also, a search on this forum will turn up previous posts on this issue.

Here is one: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...Cleaning+tapes

Mike
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #20
Tourist

How often?

I bought a head-cleaning kit, but it strongly recommends not to use it until there are dropouts or other problems.

I've also heard some people clean the heads every so many hours (5?) as preventive maintenance.

Any thoughts from either camp?

Nelson
Nelson Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch

See this thread.

Mike
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #22
Wrangler

An interesting thread. Some good information, some bad information, lots of speculation.

Best advice, follow the instructions in the manual. Any quality (e.g., name brand) dry cleaning tape will work. (I use a Sony because that is what my tape supplier had in stock and it works well for me.)

Head crud problems usually show up on playbck before they show up on record, so the start of occasional mosaic errors on play back is a good indicator that cleaning is indicated. Also, if you change tape brand/type after a steady diet of one brand, then a cleaning is probably a good idea. This is because using a different tape may result in deposits left by the previous brand breaking free and moving about.

Some people have reported complete record failures - often in conjunction with borrowed machines. Implies lack of maintenance or hard use of the borrowed machine by its owner, and perhaps issues that may be associated with a changeing tape type.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Head Cleaning Tapes

I need to buy a head cleaning tape. Does it matter what brand one uses?

Does anybody who is in France know of a place where I can purchase a head cleaning tape?
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM   #24
Trustee

I will advise you to use the same brand as your tapes.
Old December 30th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #25
Wrangler

In general, any brand of MiniDV dry head claning tape shold work OK.
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Yes, any brand will do. They're labelled as head cleaners because that's all they do. They do nothing for the guides, rollers, capstan and pinch roller (9 components in a Mini DV deck) some of which revolve at the same relative speed as the passing cleaning tape, and it's these components that deserve your close attention every so often. Remember that simply recording one hour of DV means that 70 metres of tape pass through the mechanism.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog