Speed (ASA) of the XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 13th, 2002, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Speed (ASA) of the XL1

How do I rate the XL1. I dont trust my monitors at my film school, I get different results with different monitors. I want to start using my light meter to light. How do I rate it, how can I test it.
Eduardo
Old November 13th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey

1. Set up your cam in manual mode.
2. point it at a grey card.
3. watch the exposure bar at the top in the viewfinder till its in the middle (adjust the iris)
4. Point a spot meter at the grey card, and keep changing the ASA speed till you have found exactly the same F-stop as your lens.
Bryan Johannes Onel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 05:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you
Old November 13th, 2002, 06:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

NP

No prob. m8 :-)
Bryan Johannes Onel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 10:03 PM   #5
Warden

There is a rather complete discussion of ASA ratings on The XL1 Watchdog in the articles section http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm If you scroll down to the Camera Head section the second and third articles cover the topic.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM   #6

You should get an ASA rating of 160. Beware, however, that the CCD light meter doesn't work the same as a still image film lightmeter. The sensitivity curves are different for film and video. In other words, if you use a calibrated light meter you'll get the correct exposure, however, if you want to intemtionally over or under expose, you won't get the right exposure from the meter.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog