XL1s Security at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 22nd, 2002, 11:04 AM   #1
Major Player

* * Xl1s Security * *

This is a question of Security, theft security on the XL1S.

I was wondering if there is anyway to lock all controls on the XL1S. So that anyone, not entering the correct sequence on the camera will not be able to Use the camera.

If someone had the nerve to break into and thieve a piece of my equipment, I would be able to have the last laugh.

Just curious...

I think it would be a nice addition to the camera, if it had that type of feature.

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 07:41 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

There is no way to lock the controls, and I doubt there ever will be... the best security for preventing unauthorized camera access is a lockable case, and constant vigilence and control of the gear.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 09:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I was talking with a fellow DVInfo.net member today about this subject. He is a wedding videographer. We were talking about how high the theft rate is amongst people who shoot weddings. From what he was saying, it is a pretty hot topic on the WEVA board. He was saying that most videographers higher an assistant just to watch the gear.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 11:05 PM   #4
Wrangler

Pretty expensive security. Who watches the assistant?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 11:17 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, I'm not surprised to hear theft is high among wedding shooters. The events are chaotic, equipment is often consumer or prosumer grade (i.e. easily used or sold and easily carried away). Certainly it makes alot of sense to bring an assistant and, when framed against the potential expense of key equipment losses, paying someone a few bucks is basically free protection.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2002, 12:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Seems to me that with the cameras needing servicing every so often that Canon could have a list of stolen ID #s. That would make it difficult at best to keep a stolen cam functioning properly.

Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2002, 08:33 AM   #7
Major Player

I've seen wedding photographers leave there stuff where it just ask to be stolen. Put your stuff up behind the alter somewhere. Most people don't go up there.

If they put some locking device on a camera, it would for sure not unlock when you needed to use it.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2002, 08:54 AM   #8
Wrangler

Consider the use effctiveness of similar protection schemes on laptop/notebook computers. Any electronic locking device can be hacked, if it is of sufficient alue.

Most consumers never send a camcorder back for repairs, especially if they suspect it is HOT, as a too-good price might indicate.

If y one has to leave stuff unattended, keep it far as you can from doors, exits, asnd palces were random folks and guests are likely to go. Keep it among the other workign professionals (if you an trust them).
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2002, 09:18 AM   #9
Warden

I've a friend who is in charge of the claims department for a major property and casualty insurer. We were talking a few years ago about claims after I had a small loss. He stated that insurers estimate that about 1/3 of the claims for cameras (pro and amateur) and related goods are fraud.

Small losses aren't investigated by the insurers. They rely on the police report. Police are too busy to worry about even a couple thousand dollar camera and just write up the report.

When my company was in the repair business, a couple of the manufactures maintained a data base of serial numbers from stolen goods. But back then not everybody owned a video camera. Today, the penetration of video cameras in households has got to be over 50%. The cost of maintaining that data base today would be too costly.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2002, 11:03 AM   #10

<<I was wondering if there is anyway to lock all controls on the XL1S. So that anyone, not entering the correct sequence on the camera will not be able to Use the camera.>>

I read awhile back that some of the cellular phone manufacturers, as well as gun manufacturers, are working on a thumbprint security scanner. That was maybe three years ago when I read it, so maybe they're already being used somewhere. Great idea, though. When you buy it, you scan in your thumbprint and put in a secret code. After that, it'll only unlock itself if your thumbprint matches.

Canon...you listening?
Old November 24th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #11
Wrangler

No gloves, no bandaids, etc.
Old November 24th, 2002, 06:59 PM   #12

With gloves, you'd only have to take them off for a second to scan your thumb.

Bandaids, though...now that's a problem.
Old November 25th, 2002, 03:55 PM   #13
Major Player

It'd be a bummer if you got a cut that altered your fingerprint.
Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:38 PM   #14
Wrangler

Be aware that finger print scanners have been hacked using fake fingers made with gorcery store ingredants. Not rocket science either

As a security measure they are good only if combined with a PIN and perhaps some additional information such as a smart card. Wehre would the thief find the finger print? maybe on the rest of the camcorder in inthe gear bag.
Old November 25th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #15
Major Player

* * CRACK/HACKED/USED * *

I think the ideas shared on this thread are awesome. I want an electrical implant that only allows me to use it. HAR HAR.

Being in my neighborhood, I would like this option. Its a piece of equipment with a high price tag and should be protected.

A deterrent would be nice. Chances are a thief in my neigborhood will hawk it for some quick cash. If it doesn't work, well too bad, no cash for you "Zippa Head." Just the deterrent.

I want Lo-Jack for my camera and a GPS of it. Electronics are getting so tiny that I'd pay a buck a month to know its being tracked. But that's me...

Cheers!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog